Id-L-do Special

Tim Van Pelt

I joined the forum last week. I started a new project last year. So my Idea was to build a late 1940s early 1950s single seat race car so I thought I would back track and start fresh and start a build thread.To this point I have bough very little, most of the parts have been scrounged here and there for many years. The heart of the project will be a 1959 Dodge L head six. So I'll get started.IMG_1733.JPG.62c42cafb63dc9d2845df549e88086d8.JPGIMG_1735.JPG.9a8376810c031170410a8cf071b261b8.JPGSo this is a 22-23 Dodge Roadster cowl that will be the basis for the project. I found this laying in the woods in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

• Like 2

I got my numbers off the block today can anyone tell me what this means M23starI5I66star? The capital letter I is in the sequence not a number 1. Does M stand for Military?

I wish I could find cool stuff like that cowl in the woods around here. If I did it wouldn't be in that solid.  I found a late 30's early 40's ford  car frame once in a deep gulley  when the lake was down. Pretty rusted and rough, probably been there since TVA flooded the valley,  considering it's remote location.  I rode to Sturgis in  2015, while there we rode the back roads a bit. Saw some really cool vintage tin there.  

Tell me about the flat tracker twin in the pic. I've got a  '77 Yamaha TT500,  it's never seen the track, just a play bike. 

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

I wish I could find cool stuff like that cowl in the woods around here. If I did it wouldn't be in that solid.  I found a late 30's early 40's ford  car frame once in a deep gulley  when the lake was down. Pretty rusted and rough, probably been there since TVA flooded the valley,  considering it's remote location.  I rode to Sturgis in  2015, while there we rode the back roads a bit. Saw some really cool vintage tin there.  

Tell me about the flat tracker twin in the pic. I've got a  '77 Yamaha TT500,  it's never seen the track, just a play bike. 

I grew up in Piedmont right in the middle of Rapid City and Sturgis. I graduated high School from Sturgis many many moons ago. I saw quite a few flat track races growing up. The tracker is an 81 xs650 street tracker that I built several years ago and it never gets ridden.

After I built my last Harley, it rarely gets ridden.  Before I had a family, I rode motorcycles every day!  Funny how that works...

22 hours ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

Well my build thread is a bit slow. Tried to post a few pictures but there to big to load so i have to figure out how to make them smaller.

Hi Tim,

I usually copy the pictures I want into a folder, then use the free online Image Resizer to shrink the images down to post them easier.  Saves a lot of time for posting on eBay too...

11 hours ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

I grew up in Piedmont right in the middle of Rapid City and Sturgis. I graduated high School from Sturgis many many moons ago. I saw quite a few flat track races growing up. The tracker is an 81 xs650 street tracker that I built several years ago and it never gets ridden.

We stayed with a friend in Spearfish for the rally.  I think it was like 17 miles to Sturgis from there.  Its a beautiful area, I couldn't believe how clear the streams are. Also was amazed at how pothole free the roads were. I bet it was a nice place to grow up.

I've got a friend that's 60 years old that still races flat track ( and wins often!). I like the street tracker style.

12 hours ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

I got my numbers off the block today can anyone tell me what this means M23starI5I66star? The capital letter I is in the sequence not a number 1. Does M stand for Military?

M23 or M230 230ci 23 Inches Dodge Truck D100, D200, D300, W100, W200, P300, P400, W300M 1959

14 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

Hi Tim,

I usually copy the pictures I want into a folder, then use the free online Image Resizer to shrink the images down to post them easier.  Saves a lot of time for posting on eBay too...

Thanks Jack. I have an apple, there is a way to resize but I'm tech challenged so I will have to work on that.

3 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

M23 or M230 230ci 23 Inches Dodge Truck D100, D200, D300, W100, W200, P300, P400, W300M 1959

Looks to be the original engine in the old mail van then.

3 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

We stayed with a friend in Spearfish for the rally.  I think it was like 17 miles to Sturgis from there.  Its a beautiful area, I couldn't believe how clear the streams are. Also was amazed at how pothole free the roads were. I bet it was a nice place to grow up.

I've got a friend that's 60 years old that still races flat track ( and wins often!). I like the street tracker style.

Yes Sir it is a very nice place to grow up/live in. Just big enough to get almost everything you need and small enough a guy can get away and not see another person all day long.

• Like 1