MoparMontana

1 hour ago, B-Watson said:

That's what I thought, too.  Given the similarities between the two it seemed like a given.

The  1933 HC ½-ton truck and early 1933 DP/DQ models used a 111¼" wheelbase chassis, but the truck chassis was part number 561211 for LHD and 61210 for RHD.  .The car chassis was part number 601823 for LHD and 606567 for RHD.   In April, 1933 the DP, but neither the DQ nor the HC models, went to a 115" wheelbase (612705 LHD and 612724 RHD).   The Plymouth PD went into production in April, 1933 on the DP (early)/DQ 111¼" chassis.

The bodies were different car to truck with the truck bodies usually being only the cab portion with a large load area behind.   And that might account for some of the differences in the chassis.

Also want to mention, the Dodge DQ was not based on the Plymouth PD, but the Dodge DP.  Basically the DQ was a stripped version of the DP, much as the 1934 DRXX was a stripped version of the DR.   The DP and DQ went into production in November, 1932 while the PD went into production five months later.   Engine number prefix on both the DP and DQ was DP while the production of the DQ models was included in the DP totals.

Well,I guess I was accidentally right about my 33 PD coupe using the same chassis as the PU,anyhow.

I have no idea what model number my 33 Dodge 4dr sedan is. Guess I will have to check the tags and maybe measure the wheelbase.

I fabricated the last of the chassis boxing plates today. I'll spend the weekend cleaning up welds and splatter, have it sandblasted again for "tooth", have it painted next week, and get on with final assembly.

p2p_boxing_3.jpg

• Like 2

I just realized I haven't posted any drivetrain photos. The 230 engine got buttoned up last week. This was a meticulous build and used the first of the Gen II EDGY heads I am casting. After acquiring the patterns from EDGY, I had them re-designed based on feedback I had received from previous customers, as well as our 11 years of running a Mopar flathead at Bonneville. I am also using a different foundry. so far, I'm very impressed with the density and consistency of the casting www.moparmontana.com

mdbp2p head surface.jpg

mdnp2p edgy engine.jpg

p2p edgy 3.jpg

p2p edgy 2.jpg

p2p edgy.jpg

head cc.jpg

• Thanks 1

Clutch and T-5 assembly with Tony's home machined adapter.

mdbp2p tranny.jpg

mdbp2p engine.jpg

The devil is in the details. You don't want to lose your oil drain plug in the Gobi Desert! Safety wire everything!

p2p oil plug.jpg

I parted with one of the favorites of my extensive intake collection for this project. A pristine, polished Edmunds highrise.

p2p edgy 4.jpg

• Like 4

I am quite interested and enthused reading about your project and progress to date, and thank you for your updates. I certainly don't want to appear as a critic, - looking at the crankcase ventilation ,it looks great and realizing this may not be the final configuration - I noticed there is a number of dissimilar metals in the plumbing. I might be concerned about galvanic corrosion.   

I love seeing that Aluminum Head!!! 

As long as regular service is performed, no worries about corrosion.  Another thing that I have seen, is a piece of zinc dropped into the radiator, that way the zinc gets corroded,  and the other metals are left alone....  

I expressed myself rather poorly and should have reserved comment. I don't have a problem with steel and aluminum in contact but personally I would avoid using brass fittings in direct contact with aluminum. The aluminum will suffer corrosion - how quickly it reacts will depend to some extent on the environment .  

• 4 weeks later...

p2p brakes.jpg

4 hours ago, MoparMontana said:

winnett edgy 4.jpg

winnett edgy.jpg

You obviously have the Edgy heads figured out. When are you going to start shipping them?

I am waiting to see the front suspension but everything so far looks fantastic. I found that the old jeeps used front leafs that were a pretty close match when I was looking for replacements to use on the front of my 34 PD. Found them new and they were very reasonable.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You obviously have the Edgy heads figured out. When are you going to start shipping them?

I believe they have 12 left to machine. It took quite a while to build a fixture for the mill that was easily indexible for the kids (error proof). They will then be surfaced and shipped, hopefully near the end of next week. Thanks for your patience!

2 hours ago, Veemoney said:

I am waiting to see the front suspension but everything so far looks fantastic. I found that the old jeeps used front leafs that were a pretty close match when I was looking for replacements to use on the front of my 34 PD. Found them new and they were very reasonable.

I wanted to use 2" springs so I had them made off the original blueprints at Eaton Spring in Detroit.

12 minutes ago, MoparMontana said:

I believe they have 12 left to machine. It took quite a while to build a fixture for the mill that was easily indexible for the kids (error proof). They will then be surfaced and shipped, hopefully near the end of next week. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks! I ordered a 23 inch and a 25 inch. Looking forward to getting them in.

Yes, I know. Sorry for the delay.

Many thanks for the updates, however I have a couple of questions if I may...........what updates and /or changes were done to the Edgy head design and why are you running an early Frod rear axle?............not trying to put you on the spot or be critical in any way, I just am a curious sod............lol................regards, Andy Douglas 

6 hours ago, Andydodge said:

...what updates and /or changes were done to the Edgy head design...           regards, Andy Douglas 

Once the word got out that I was planning on producing a run of heads, I started getting messages and calls from previous customers about what they thought needed improvement. This got me to thinking that if I was going to the trouble and expense of modifying the patterns, that I should dig a little deeper. So we bandsawed up two existing Gen I EDGY heads, as well as two stock heads, and consulted with pattern makers and foundries.

The improvements to the Gen II EDGY heads are as follows:

-Additional internal webbing in the core to better support the combustion chambers.
-Revised webbing in certain areas of the core for better coolant circulation and reduced stagnation.
-Larger internal radiuses to improve strength, durability, and heat or stress crack resistance.
-Changed casting method to better support the core for less risk of core shift during casting.
-A modern technique incorporated into the patterns to have denser and equally-sized as-cast combustion chambers.
-Multiple test pours cast and cut up to analyze progress.
-Poured from pure 100% A-356 ingot.
-Heat treated to T6
-Shot blasted to clean casting and relieve stress.
-CNC machined for consistency.

22 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Thanks! I ordered a 23 inch and a 25 inch. Looking forward to getting them in.

17 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Many thanks for the updates, however I have a couple of questions if I may...........why are you running an early Frod rear axle?............not trying to put you on the spot or be critical in any way, I just am a curious sod............lol................regards, Andy Douglas 

Great question - It's actually a brand new axle from Winters performance.

-It's light (aluminum center)

-All modern and readily available big Ford bearings and seals.

-3.78 R&P

-Several backing plate flanges available

-Custom housing and axle lengths available.

-Trac-loc available

-Flanged axles (no need to carry a hub puller)

We debated this at length but felt giving our criteria of - parts availability in remote locations, gear ratio, limited slip, custom lengths, brake drum interchangability, not having to carry a hub puller, ability to do brake work without pulling hubs, readily available brake wheel cylinders, etc. - it was a no brainer. We also have a good relationship with Winters from our Bonneville efforts, so that didn't hurt either.

Edited by MoparMontana
typo

Pete(?).............well, that answers my questions perfectly, promptly and professionally..........lol...........seriously tho' thanks for the reply, the fact that the rear end is all brand new with large bearings and no hub puller needed is a great reasoning...........andyd   

• Like 1