MoparMontana

6 hours ago, MoparMontana said:

Hi there, I'm not much of a forum guy but wanted to share this because I think it's going to be a really exciting project on many levels.  I have been asked by a gentleman in Belgium to prepare his TJ Richards-bodied 1933 Dodge Roadster for the 2019 Peking to Paris Rally.  While remaining very original in appearance, it will be powered by a meticulously prepared 230, a T5 transmission, and a more modern rear axle to dependably concur the arduous 8,000+ mile trip.  Other than those three items the car will remain 100% period correct and unmodified in any way. Stay tuned, it going to be a bumpy ride, pun intended.

patrick_p2p.JPG

Love it great car, look forward to this build and subsequent excursion.

Hope to see you post up more videos of the 31 Desoto, that cars awesome, and looks very kool.

Hope to see more posts from you "Montana Boys"....all the best

2 hours ago, MoparMontana said:

Very similar with some very small changes. Learning more every day. We were surprised to find this weekend when looking at several chassis back to back that the frame rails of the longer wheelbase trucks were made from heavier gauge steel than the 1/2 tons.

cooper_trucks_p2p_winnett.jpg

The 1.5 Tons are insanely thick and L-O-N-G....  I am going to replace my damaged 1/2 Ton frame on my 1936 Dodge with a 1.5 Ton Frame.  With some careful fabrication, I think that I can pull this off and keep the truck looking proportional.  Due to my lack of original parts, it may get a blown 331 or 354 Hemi installed...  With a A833...  Decisions decisions decisions!  LOL

It appears that you guys have some great cars and trucks available to build there.  I like your doggy too.

• Like 1

I must ask, why is a modern T5 being used?  I am curious because the other choices are vintage.  Seems to be a controversial transmission here lately. Not looking to stir the pot...  There are so many transmissions out there, I was surprised to hear this as the chosen transmission.  

Edited by classiccarjack
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the T5's S10 forward mounted shifter might have swayed the choice........just guessing...........however would have thought that maybe a Toyota sourced 5speed might have been considered as a Toyota gearbox might have been more accessable in outer Mongolia.............due to it being an Oz car I'm quite pleased and would be very interested in following the rebuild etc...........the owner started a thread regarding this car on here last November with the same pics...........andyd    

10 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Maybe the T5's S10 forward mounted shifter might have swayed the choice........just guessing...........however would have thought that maybe a Toyota sourced 5speed might have been considered as a Toyota gearbox might have been more accessable in outer Mongolia.............due to it being an Oz car I'm quite pleased and would be very interested in following the rebuild etc...........the owner started a thread regarding this car on here last November with the same pics...........andyd    

Hi Andyd,

Toyota 5 speeds are quite plentiful and very easy to service.  They had different gear arrangements too.  I always have liked the simple yet ruggedness of the Aisin transmissions.  Every time one rolled in with a complaint of it being failed, it ended up being that plastic disc under the shifter handle.  I only had to replace abused units that never got serviced(ran until the oil was gone in other words).....

When I lived in Europe, there were a lot of Toyota's there too....

7 hours ago, T120 said:

Whoever writes the checks gets to choose the specs..:)

Sure fair enough, who ever pays the piper calls the tune.

Jacks question relates to the rationale for the decision to go with this trans and mitigated the choice...

10 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I must ask, why is a modern T5 being used?  I am curious because the other choices are vintage.  Seems to be a controversial transmission here lately. Not looking to stir the pot...  There are so many transmissions out there, I was surprised to hear this as the chosen transmission.  

The rationale for the T5

• The owner wants the car switched to LHD and he wants to use a stock pedal assembly so it appears stock from above.
  • The inboard side of the pedal assembly is mounted to the bellhousing and is visual from the engine compartment.
  • Ford T5s have the correct length 1" 10 spline input shaft so a stock flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc, and mechanical linkage can be used with a pilot bushing adapted
  • Aftermarket Temec versions of this tranny have multiple gear ratios available and multiple shifter locations.
  •  

I am not personally opposed to other alternatives, but this seems like the best choice given the parameters.  I have a Mazda B2000 tranny in my '26 dodge speedster.

Edited by MoparMontana
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We dug through the engine pile on the Ranch and found a beautiful standard bore 230. We will be disassemble, tank, inspect and magnaflux this weekend.

IMG_20180123_111344.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

Just curious— Is there any plan to replace the original drive train after the race?  It just seems such a shame that a fairly rare unusual car is being altered.

I can see the corner you are coming from but we must agree it is his to chose and do with as he wishes....personally I would never take a good example such as this and beat it to hang and back in any endurance competition that does not mean getting a jug of milk and dozen of eggs at the grocery store regardless of stock or altered state.  I also would never trample this man's dream to compete in this event and say full steam ahead and best of luck to you.  Lets say he emerges victorious in the event....any ideas on the new found notoriety  the vehicle will enjoy from that point forward?

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

21 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

Just curious— Is there any plan to replace the original drive train after the race?  It just seems such a shame that a fairly rare unusual car is being altered.

I get the impression this will be vintage race car until the end. I suppose that is part of the reason the owner and I found each other. I turned a 1928 Dodge roadster into a Bonneville racecar, my '33 Chrysler convertible (one of 577 built) has a warmed-over 265 and overdrive, and my '31 Desoto (one of 1200+/-) has a supercharged 230 with an F-head. (#31FheadDesoto).  I am a racer/hotrodder at heart, I sell L-head speed parts as a hobby, and I feel properly done, tasteful, period-correct performance modifications add value both monetarily and in terms of enjoyment...   not to mention that you can drive them thousands of miles, dependably, at highway speeds. 

Edited by MoparMontana
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Moparmontana for explaining the purpose of the transmission.  Makes sense when you get into the Tremec versions.  I helped with designs involving the Keisler kits back in the early 2000's.  I put a lot of Tremec TKO kits into Mopar Muscle Cars when I owned my restoration business.  Kiesler sold to Silverstate.  I get junk mail from them constantly....  LOL

4 hours ago, MoparMontana said:

I get the impression this will be vintage race car until the end. I suppose that is part of the reason the owner and I found each other. I turned a 1928 Dodge roadster into a Bonneville racecar, my '33 Chrysler convertible (one of 577 built) has a warmed-over 265 and overdrive, and my '31 Desoto (one of 1200+/-) has a supercharged 230 with an F-head. (#31FheadDesoto).  I am a racer/hotrodder at heart, I sell L-head speed parts as a hobby, and I feel properly done, tasteful, period-correct performance modifications add value both monetarily and in terms of enjoyment...   not to mention that you can drive them thousands of miles, dependably, at highway speeds. 

............And beat a few Frods...........lol........andyd

Here is a link to the Facebook page that the owner of the car created.

https://www.facebook.com/PekingtoParis2019/

Cheers, Pete

Muddy afternoon at the Ranch, but the chassis and engine are headed to the shop. It's going to be a busy weekend!

P2P chassis 1.jpg

p2p chassis 2.jpg

Edited by MoparMontana

34 minutes ago, MoparMontana said:

Muddy afternoon at the Ranch, but the chassis and engine are headed to the shop. It's going to be a busy weekend!

P2P chassis 1.jpg

p2p chassis 2.jpg

At last! Somebody is purposely buying projects rougher than mine!  BTW,is that a TYM loader? I just bought one a few months ago,and use it for grading as well as stripping out cars and moving them and large heavy parts around. Near as I can tell from looking,it's the same tractor that Case sells,but a lot cheaper.

Yesterday Tony stripped and shot peened the beautiful standard-bore 230 that we dug out of the motor pile. It only has about .003" wear/taper with absolutely no pitting or scoring.  We'll be going +.010 with forged, coated pistons of modern design.

p2p block resize 2.jpg

p2p block resize.jpg

tony shot peen p2p.jpg

7 minutes ago, MoparMontana said:

Yesterday Tony stripped and shot peened the beautiful standard-bore 230 that we dug out of the motor pile. It only has about .003" wear/taper with absolutely no pitting or scoring.  We'll be going +.010 with forged, coated pistons of modern design.

p2p block resize 2.jpg

p2p block resize.jpg

tony shot peen p2p.jpg

That guy wears shorts to work in Mt in Jan?  He must be a lot tougher than he looks!

Tony wears shorts every day of his life, including when he's hunting. In the 20 years I've known him, I've seen him in long pants once. What can I say other than engine builders with PHDs in Chemical Engineering are a bit different.

• Haha 1

And whats wrong with wearing shorts?.......I've got them on as I type this......oops, wait a minute its 92F at present.............bit warmer I expect than Montana.....is Tony shot peening the whole block?............andyd 

https://www.hln.be/regio/roeselare

Translation - Next month some parts of the car will be shipped to the famous technical team Montana Dodge Boys who will prepare the car for this rally. “we already had several conference calls and all of their plans look rosaceous”.

"famous technical team"   :lol:

Today's update on the engine build.  We'll be starting on the chassis this weekend.

https://www.moparmontana.com/in-our-shop

Also an article in the Belgian National Newspaper.  You'll need to brush up on your Flemish first though.

https://www.hln.be/regio/roeselare/duo-start-in-zwaarste-historische-rally~a2a63c4d?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Hooglede

Edited by MoparMontana
added copy
  • Like 2

Pete............looks like you scored well with the 230 for the car.......have a question re the Carillo pistons........what compression ratio will they be?...I assume they will be a standard flathead flat top or would they have some sort of "bump" to raise the CR?.........I know that when i was collecting the parts for the 230 that I intended to build, the lack of easily found hipo pistons was something I discovered and was going to have to use NOS 40 thou over stock style 4 ring pistons..............admittedly I wasn't looking at low 6 sec quarter mile times........lol.....it was only going to have a twin intake, split exhaust, Edgy head, 1/2 race Waggott cam and balanced but I was not overly happy to have to use the stock style pistons............btw I hav not heard of shotpeening the whole block before.........is this a normal proceedure?.............thanks and regards, Andy Douglas