MoparMontana

22 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Pete............looks like you scored well with the 230 for the car.......have a question re the Carillo pistons........what compression ratio will they be?...I assume they will be a standard flathead flat top or would they have some sort of "bump" to raise the CR?.........I know that when i was collecting the parts for the 230 that I intended to build, the lack of easily found hipo pistons was something I discovered and was going to have to use NOS 40 thou over stock style 4 ring pistons..............admittedly I wasn't looking at low 6 sec quarter mile times........lol.....it was only going to have a twin intake, split exhaust, Edgy head, 1/2 race Waggott cam and balanced but I was not overly happy to have to use the stock style pistons............btw I hav not heard of shotpeening the whole block before.........is this a normal proceedure?.............thanks and regards, Andy Douglas   

Andy, CP/Carrillo does all of our forged pistons and rods through the sponsorship deal with the race car.  We can get them in any size and they have all the bells and whistles - coated crowns and skirts, light weight pins, and modern ring packs. They will be flattop for good quench but we are going to run only 8.5:1 compression because the quality of fuel available along the route is so variable.  The guidelines for the rally say to expect octane ratings in the mid-70s in some places.  We did a lot of flow bench work with our four banger and found that the flattops performed best because of the direct flame travel.The head will be an EDGY aluminum, but we are milling the fins off so it looks stock. I'm using an old Edmunds highrise intake that I have, and I think we're going to use Zenith 228s because of the externally adjustable jets, which will be handy with the fuel quality and variable altitude.  Shot peening the whole block relieves potential stress points and casting flashing. Exhaust will be vintage Fenton.

Neat, I want a sponsor to my madness!  Muhahaha

Obviously, you guys have really spent some money with these guys in order to earn the sponsorships. I am glad that you guys are doing this, so the rest of us can benefit by being able to purchase performance parts that you help design.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

Neat, I want a sponsor to my madness!  Muhahaha

Obviously, you guys have really spent some money with these guys in order to earn the sponsorships. I am glad that you guys are doing this, so the rest of us can benefit by being able to purchase performance parts that you help design.

I intentionally don't do the math, but I think it's safe to say we have six figures between the four if us in ten years of racing.  Not bad for a t-shirt, a hat and a trophy ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was a part of a few racing teams through my years, I did get 1 uniform, 1 hat, and two t-shirts.  And even though my labor was free, and all other expenses paid, A LOT of money spent makes it happen.  Spending 20-30 grand on a engine to remain competitive is not out of the ordinary...  And engines are constantly dismantled, inspected, and freshened up.  The faster you go, the more is spent....  But the experience is Priceless!  Would do it all over again if given the opportunity!  

Thanks for taking interest in our beloved flatheads. :)

Edited by classiccarjack
  • Like 2

Well, to be honest, apart from the shirt hat & trophy you guys have also gain the respect and appreciation from a number of us Mopar Morons.......which whilst is not much help monetarilly I'd like to think makes you a little bit warm & fuzzy..........lol.............when I turned up at rod runs here in Oz 45 yrs ago I was the only person I knew that was into mopars.............now its good to see there are a few extra guys both here in oz and elsewhere..........thanks..........andyd 

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

Well, to be honest, apart from the shirt hat & trophy you guys have also gain the respect and appreciation from a number of us Mopar Morons.......which whilst is not much help monetarilly I'd like to think makes you a little bit warm & fuzzy..........lol.............when I turned up at rod runs here in Oz 45 yrs ago I was the only person I knew that was into mopars.............now its good to see there are a few extra guys both here in oz and elsewhere..........thanks..........andyd 

If I am ever blessed with a opportunity to come to Australia.  I will definitely look you up Andy.  You are top notch and a very positive person here.  I always enjoy reading your posts.

The coffee pots always on........and with the kids annoying other people now we have a couple of spare beds so call in...lol..........andyd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stripped down the donor chassis yesterday and will head to the sandblaster this afternoon. It will then be squared, straightened, boxed and reinforced; particularly in the shock/shackle areas.  Roll bar mounts will also be added. #MDBP2P

p2p chassis (1).jpg

p2p chassis (2).jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a nice white carpet to lie on whilst working outside...........lol................andyd

On 2/1/2018 at 7:06 AM, MoparMontana said:

I stripped down the donor chassis yesterday and will head to the sandblaster this afternoon. It will then be squared, straightened, boxed and reinforced; particularly in the shock/shackle areas.  Roll bar mounts will also be added. #MDBP2P

p2p chassis (1).jpg

p2p chassis (2).jpg

I look forward to seeing this!  I am planning on supercharging my 1936.  I would like to see if you will box it in just like I would....   Or do it differently....  Okay...  I am shutting up and watching the show!  I am a learning person, and I am always interested in an expert's approach.  I just never felt that was one way to eat a Reece's....  So to speak..  

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, MoparMontana said:

p2p chassis (1).jpg

p2p chassis (2).jpg

Kool 57 in the background.

Whos is it? 

Whats under the hood?

Is it being driven these days?

Souped up 265?

3 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Kool 57 in the background.

Whos is it? 

Whats under the hood?

Is it being driven these days?

Souped up 265?

For some reason what I noticed was the dog. Never seen such a big tail on a dog in my life. If that thing gets soaked with snow or ice,he's not going to be strong enough to drag it around.

The good news,not much danger of his "delicates" getting cold,is there?

On 3/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, classiccarjack said:

Bump!

What's the latest and greatest?

Sorry for the delay.  I've been in California for three weeks working with the foundry on heads and intakes, and CP/Carrillo for rods and pistons.

The most recent updates can be found on our facebook page www.facebook.com/moparmontana until I have time to do a more thorough update here.

Thanks for your interest!!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, 55 Fargo said:

Hey all, should have made my " queries " on this thread.

What is the Status of this build? 

Has there been any updates or details of where this engine build wound up?

My apologies - Like I said when I started this thread, I'm not much of a forum guy. Things are starting to happen quickly. The best place to follow in a timely fashion is - our facebook page, which is Montana Vintage Speed

Edited by MoparMontana
typo
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, MoparMontana said:

My apologies - Like I said when I started this thread, I'm not much of a forum guy. Things are starting to happen quickly. The best place to follow in a timely fashion is - our facebook page, which is Montana Vintage Speed

Great to see you back!!!

I will check out your site.

This is the best place to follow the engine and tranny build - https://www.facebook.com/thefreewheelingtonysmith/

... here for the chassis, suspension, and speed parts - https://www.facebook.com/moparmontana/

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 3:33 PM, MoparMontana said:

This is the best place to follow the engine and tranny build - https://www.facebook.com/thefreewheelingtonysmith/

... here for the chassis, suspension, and speed parts - https://www.facebook.com/moparmontana/

Great read!

Thank you for providing us some really cool products to up the performance of the flatheads.

I will start doing some more here as soon as we get the engine in the chassis. My new Gen II castings of Earl's EDGY heads turned out nice! I revised the patterns and started using a different foundry. Very pleased with the quality and density of the casting.

Edgy gen II short fin P2P.jpg

• Like 1

A few photos from yesterday. The motor meets the chassis for the first time. After extensive trimming we were able to modify the stock transmission crossmember to work nicely with the T5 transmission. Given the longer tailshaft, next up will be modifying the X-bracing with a removable plate so the transmission can be easily dropped from below.

p2p engine in chassis 4.jpg

p2p engine in chassis 3.jpg

p2p engine in chassis 2.jpg

p2p engine in chassis.jpg

Truing.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, knuckleharley said:

Once again I am proven wrong. I have just been assuming the pickup (1/4 or 1/2 ton in 33?) was build on the same chassis as the cars.

That's what I thought, too.  Given the similarities between the two it seemed like a given.

The  1933 HC ½-ton truck and early 1933 DP/DQ models used a 111¼" wheelbase chassis, but the truck chassis was part number 561211 for LHD and 61210 for RHD.  .The car chassis was part number 601823 for LHD and 606567 for RHD.   In April, 1933 the DP, but neither the DQ nor the HC models, went to a 115" wheelbase (612705 LHD and 612724 RHD).   The Plymouth PD went into production in April, 1933 on the DP (early)/DQ 111¼" chassis.

The bodies were different car to truck with the truck bodies usually being only the cab portion with a large load area behind.   And that might account for some of the differences in the chassis.

Also want to mention, the Dodge DQ was not based on the Plymouth PD, but the Dodge DP.  Basically the DQ was a stripped version of the DP, much as the 1934 DRXX was a stripped version of the DR.   The DP and DQ went into production in November, 1932 while the PD went into production five months later.   Engine number prefix on both the DP and DQ was DP while the production of the DQ models was included in the DP totals.