engine year help

homer41

The stroke is a must.  Despite what the block reads, you never know what's inside....  I found a 218 converted to a 230.  This is just one good example.

I am no longer looking for size as much as year. Are there any changes over the years that would point to a specific year?

Edited by homer41

I looked at a picture, it has provisios for a hand crank. I know that could have come off another engine, but what year was the last fo that provision?

Edited by homer41

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, JVL said:

I did some research on my engine and I believe it's a car engine. The numbers start with. d instead of a T. How can I tell what size and year it is ?  Thanks. 

if it starts with a 'D'...give us the next to numbers as that will indicate the model year/series....should be Dxx *xxxxxx*

18 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if it starts with a 'D'...give us the next to numbers as that will indicate the model year/series....should be Dxx *xxxxxx*

The number are D19-219563. 

On the top of the head it's has 636175- 

under the starter is has 860229-7

the engine is in my 53 Pilot house truck. 

Edited by JVL

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

D19 is 1941 and will be a 218

Thanks, I purchased a 77 model 318, w/360 heads and trans out of a PU to put in it.  I'm going with a Dakota IF front frame with front and rear coil overs. 

I followed this thread and may have had some answers but why, if you are using a 318 would you need to know ?

Maybe you were just pulling our chains.  In any event, Plymouthy has identified the year..  Also,  

In 51  and later there is an extra water passage at the front of the head.

if swapping out to a later model engine, the proper identification could eventually help someone with locating the proper year engine for their project should he advertise it for sale.  could be just curiosity killing the cat and/or burning bandwidth....only the Shadow knows for sure...

• Like 1

Below the distributor near the bottom of the block are 3 numbers cast on the block. These will tell you when it was cast, but not necessarily when it was installed. Example-  2  17  48. This block was cast on February 17th of 1948. It would have been used in a 1948 year vehicle or newer. Hope this helps you.

10 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

With the above link I was attempting to teach JVL to fish rather than just handing him a fish.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

With the above link I was attempting to teach JVL to fish rather than just handing him a fish.

Thanks Reg, the link was very helpful. I'm not really to familiar with the flatheads, I grew up on B and E body mopars. I wanted to know the engine size, for the purpose of resell. I originally wanted to go with a red ram hemi, but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the 318 w/trans.