To goop or not to goop that is the question

tanda62

Took off the oil pan and timing chain cover plate (special thanks to rekbender for instructions to remove this) and am pretty happy with the condition of the internals.  As you can see from the pictures whoever was in here before used a lot of goop along with the gaskets.  So I put this question out to the group:  to goop or not to goop? 

Thanks,

Tom

inside of engine.gif

inside oil pan.gif

front of engine.gif

I can’t say I ever agree with grease on gaskets, it makes them swell and deteriorate IMO.  Goop no...proper gasket adhesive yes...just a bit of permatex aviation  gasket maker on the pan then the cork, then ultra black silicone where the cork overlaps the valley gaskets.  Sometimes I will put the gasket maker around the bolt holes on the engine side of the gasket...but a big key to no leaks is to make sure the pan surface is flat, so don’t be scared to hammer it a bit

As for the timing cover...just the aviation gasket maker on the cover side and maybe again around the bolt holes

• 1 month later...

Too much gook was used... no do!

If I require either a cork or a paper gasket ,I prefer to  make my own gasket when needed, particularly for less common gaskets. I  personally dislike some of the newer gasket making products that have been used by some - perhaps improperly to make gaskets, don't do the job, look bad and  can be troublesome to remove.

Edited by T120

I installed the oil pan and the timing chain cover plate using a thin layer of Ultra Copper from Permatex.  Very easy to use and forgiving as the setup takes a bit so you have time to do something large like the oil pan.  I used the cork gaskets (uncut) from DCM for the oil pan and paper gaskets I got from Auto Zone for the timing.  As you can see in the picture I have also cleaned up the distributor, why do people paint over dirt?, and made new spark plug wires with wire from Tom's engine barn.  Making progress...

engine with oil pan installed.gif

• Like 1

The title of the thread, "To goop or not to goop", caught my attention. I have seen "goop" oozing from mating surfaces and I think it shows poor workmanship. I have seen it used by itself in place of tappet cover gaskets on a flathead. Also seen it used by itself as a substitute for an oil pan gasket on an older flathead and the list goes on. Used properly and sparingly I suppose "goop" serves a purpose. I just don't like cleaning the stuff off .  

Edited by T120
  • Like 1

I use Ultra Black silicone a lot.  Not a lot of goop, often is a better term.  But, I wear vinyl gloves and apply it very thinly, spreading with my fingers.  That assures good coverage and a tacky surface that keeps the gasket in place with no squeeze--out.

gray silicone  [semi-rigid],,  is the greatest  , a light skim coat  is all thats needed... over the years I learned  to  let the silicone  dry  to about 75%  hardness    or about 20 minutes .. no goop squish.. the oil pan at the top   has a couple of problems .. somebody  didn't let silicone dry enough and  the block wasn't oil free.. Also  keep out of blind bolt holes,  it will ruin your day..

• Like 1