Flush convertible top cylinders

captden29

i want to flush the top cylinders of brake fluid to use ATF. i know some kind of alchohol is used but cannot remember which type. also, is that not a good idea for the seals in there? appreciate any advice.   thanks,  capt den

Don't know for sure but it's probably denatured alcohol which will remove moisture from the system by absorbing it and then evaporating . Seeing that it's not a life critical system like brakes, you could probably just flush with enough ATF to effectively remove/dilute the brake fluid and moisture from the system. BTW - here is link to a film strip on servicing convertible tops from the 1950 Chrysler Master Service Technician Conference. Watched it the other day and there are some good tidbits regarding filling the system and so on:  MTSC Convertible Tops

• Like 1

I'd dis-assemble to be sure to remove all the DOT 3.

i do not wish to did-assemble the cylinders, but i can take them out of the car and clean and flush to get all the brake fluid out.the film that vintage sent shows how that can be done. the new pump i bought recommends ATF, but brake fluid is also acceptable. the original pump used brake fluid. the mopar film shows the exact system i have, so it is a tremendous help. i never knew how all the adjustments worked. the top mechanisms were always a mystery. not any more.  thanks to all who responded with advice.  capt den

• Like 1

i already spilled brake fluid in the car in the past trying to fix what was there. i will be neater this time.i have been nursing the original motor, but finally gave up and bought a new one. hope it is worth the money and time.   capt den

super interesting topic..

Would someone know if there are differences between convertible- hydraulic parts from the 50-53 CRANBROOK model  versus the '54 model? different pumps or pistons or are these parts interchangeable. At MTC convertible tops they do not know either... has somebody info/documentation/ partnumbers on these items...?

thanks!

They are all different.

1949-50 Motor hydraulic...

51-52 Motor cable driven...

53-54 I believe Motor hydraulic

The MoPar parts books will ID

Also Hollanders