Anyone with a 54+ Stock V8 truck? Need Mounting Help!

59bisquik

As the title says, anyone have a stock V8 truck? I am doing something wrong on the front mounts. I must not have the right ones. Anyone have a photo?

She is in the hole, but something isnt right. I found that the rear crossmember needed to be moved up to a different set of bolt holes. The L6 location was too far back and the heads hit the firewall and the front sump pan would hit the axle. Now it seems that I dont have the correct front mount. I could always build a set of side mounts, but wanted to look as stock as possible. Also, looking at pictures on the net, I see there is pretty good clearance between and shifter linkage and head. Looks like I still need to move it forward some more.

IMG_2277.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

I have a 1955 1.5 ton with a 270 poly......I'll shoot some pictures and see if it holds any info that's helpful.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Thanks 1

I made some mount extensions and moved the crossmember back to its regular place. I think this is pretty close to where it should sit. It clears the shifter and sits pretty level in the frame. I think side mounts will be the easiest and they will be hidden anyways with the size of the hemi heads. Not to mention how much fun it will be to find a stock front mount. 

IMG_2279.JPG

Ok......its pouring rain out here, but I got a few pictures to start.

I measured the fender to make sure we have similar engine bays.

The poly head is narrower, but should be just as long.

IMG_20180122_085948548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180122_090033157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180122_090258655_HDR.jpg

The poly and Hemi share the same block, so length should be the same. My driver head has about the same distance as yours from the firewall. Yours however has a different crossmember look and placement. I can build sidemounts and have the material to do so. So it looks like the rear crossmember is the area I should focus on. Pics and location of that if possible would be great. Thanks again!

Double checked fenders... they measure the same as yours. 

Edited by 59bisquik

I have been chatting with 4MSfamily who is generously sending me his old frame since mine has a slight bend to it. He sent me a couple pictures of his setup with a stock V8. My crossmember bolts directly to the MC bracket and his has brackets that pushes it about 4.5" forward.  Secondly, from his pics, it looks like my shifter is assembled incorrectly and the pin points forward instead of rearward like his. Unless there is a crossmember difference, I think we might of found the issue for proper placement.

Mine

IMG_2283.JPG

Marks

IMG_1578.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

Ok, I have my mission.....the rear cross member placement. Its good info to have since it would be nice to know 1.5 ton truck enignes could be use in 1/2 ton trucks of that era.

Just to add more for others who may not know....the 270 Polys can be turned into Hemi's......just need to make the obvious changes (the heads) and a few others....just to add to the reason I felt this engine would help.

I work nights....should have pictures up by tomorrow night (Pacific Time).

48D 

• Like 1

I'll have to try again tomorrow.....family stuff kept me from getting more pictures...I'll try again in the morning.

Sorry bout that.

48D

• Like 1

It looks like with the crossmember in the forward location and the headers off, it mounts up nice. I will have to do a minor notch in the upper frame rails for the headers, and that’s about it besides making the side mounts. Shifter is tight but I think it’s in about the right place.

That looks great....do you have insulation between the engine and frame?

I'm having computer problems...hence, slow to load pictures. I'm sorry.

48D