1948 deluxe oil filter. Where do I find the correct one for this Plymouth.

Bobby198412

Also remeber that the oil filter units where an accessory item and the various dealers would put on any unit that their local parts suppliers either had instock or that the parts house would send to them.  Later on MoPAr had the canister and you can get them but you will pay more if its a MoPAr canister.  If you get a unit off of ebay then take the entire metal housing to you local NAPA store and then fit in a drop in filter  I have an AC canister style and I use a NAPA Gold 1010 filter has the metal cover with the perforations and a lift ring to remove it fromthe housing when needed. You might have to make a new rubber gasket for your lid but that is easy todo.

Very simple

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I know we probably have all kinds of different canisters under the hood - but I'm more curious about what brands you guys trust the most - Wix? Delco? Fram? STP? Are there any particularly garbage brands that should be avoided. I'm pretty sure I'm using a CarQuest one right now...

43 minutes ago, meezy said:

I know we probably have all kinds of different canisters under the hood - but I'm more curious about what brands you guys trust the most - Wix? Delco? Fram? STP? Are there any particularly garbage brands that should be avoided. I'm pretty sure I'm using a CarQuest one right now...

Meezy: when you say canisters are you referring to the spin-on type filters that are used in our modern cars?  Most of the olders cars did not use the spin-on style. They either used the canister styel which was a heavy steel metal housing inwhich the oil filter element slide into the hosuing and then the top or lid was bolted down onto the body of the canister.  Basically it really does not matter which brand of canister is used they all baiscally were the same. The oil flowed into the top of the canister the oil got filtered and then returned via the oil line at the bottom of the cannister.  The main filter that are avialble today are NAPA Wix, Baldwin, Fram AC  all are good filter it just depends on which filter element fits your canister. The oil is not really under pressure like on a modern car there isa check valve in the oil connect along the galley and when the pressure relief value opens then the oil will flow to the filter and then back  So no real worry of blowing out the oil filter canister.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Hi Rich.

I am not referring to the spin-on kind. I have the original kind you are describing. I would really be interested in the biggest kind that would fit in my canister, but as there were different kinds, I think it's a matter of measure, trial, and error until I find the best fit. Right now, I'm using CarQuest 85076.

Thanks for your comments.

Some examples from a Plymouth show.  If your car didn't come with one the options are numerous.

Without

post-3-13585351615224.jpg

Typical for replaceable element filter

post-3-13585351617546.jpg

An old Frame with replaceable filter

post-3-13585351619357.jpg

I think this one was a WIX

post-3-13585351614608.jpg

The rare, no longer made, and costly when found throw away and replace sealed canister

post-3-13585351613431.jpg

The NAPA 1080 or 1080 gold work for most cans, I believe that crosses to a similar number from Wix.

Edited by greg g

2 hours ago, meezy said:

Hi Rich.

I am not referring to the spin-on kind. I have the original kind you are describing. I would really be interested in the biggest kind that would fit in my canister, but as there were different kinds, I think it's a matter of measure, trial, and error until I find the best fit. Right now, I'm using CarQuest 85076.

Thanks for your comments.

The first fist fit is making sure when you put the filter into the canister the hole in the middle of filter adn the rod inthe cansiter are a tight fit. Then the next measurement is the height of the filter to fit in the canister then the width diameter of the filter itseld.  The carquest 85076 is a fine unit. Does it fir well inthe canister and have remove for the oil to flow throught the filter. If it does then you should have nothing to worry about you will be fine you do need some space along the sides of the cnister wall and oil filter.. So if the filter is pushed all the way to the bottom of the unit and you have more extra space at the top then measure this distance upto the rim of the canister and then see if your parts supplier has one to fir the height and the inside diameter of the canister.  Not knowing which canister you have these measurement will have to be done by you and then by the trial and error approach.

I have been using a napa 1010 gold filter for over 25 years without any issues.

rich hartung

I found this on line today . It's a mopar filter giving equivalent filter numbers for the full flow filter on De Soto and Chrysler. I don't know if the numbers are available today but it would be a place to start if you have this filter. This type of filter was only available in the 25" engine and will not fit a Plymouth or a Dodge.

5a650c23b2c1b_oilfilterinfo.jpg.3fcb436a6a7a92b4abd2e8ddcfaabe29.jpg

Being a hotrodder I decided that my 41 Plymouth needed a Beehive Filter, I bought it originally to install when the 230 was put in the car but seeing it didn't have any filter anyway I decided that it certainly wouldn't be a problem on the stock 201........as it was polished and with fins I think it made the car go faster.......or maybe not......lol........sold the car so can't help with what filter canister fitted but it came with a list and cross reference to about 6-8 brands.............andyd

IMG_1543.JPG

• 4 years later...
On 1/21/2018 at 11:22 AM, greg g said:

The rare, no longer made, and costly when found throw away and replace sealed canister

post-3-13585351613431.jpg

I've recently started the process of trying to get my 1948 P15 back on the road.  I have the oil filter listed as "rare, no longer made, and costly when found throw away and replace sealed canister".  Everything I've found to replace it with is a spin on filter, and my understanding is that they won't work the same way as this type of oil filter because of lack of pressure.  Is there anything anyone would recommend for a replacement?  I'm working with a budget, so bigger purchases aren't out of the question so much as they would be added to the list of things I have to save up for.  

r/

Jimmy

I can't get it to open, so I may need to replace it altogether anyway.  I got it off, but where I think the connecting point between the canister and the cap seems to be welded shut with rust.    

2 hours ago, jimmybeav said:

I can't get it to open, so I may need to replace it altogether anyway.  I got it off, but where I think the connecting point between the canister and the cap seems to be welded shut with rust.    

That looks like the sealed one that you just replaced as a unit. You need to swap it for the kind that does open 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

That looks like the sealed one that you just replaced as a unit. You need to swap it for the kind that does open 

Thank you! I was getting a little frustrated and wasn't sure if it was actually supposed to open or not. 

I don't suppose you'd have a recommendation for replacement? I'm not making a show model, I just want it to be fun and able to drive as much as possible during the summer.