Vibration damper fitment/pulley alignment ?

Dartgame

I am looking at a three piece damper/hub/crank pulley assembly. I have a standard non dampened crank pulley. In comparing the two, the position of the pulley is different by around 3/16 “ or so, enough to make me concerned about pulley alignment with the water pump and generator. My question is - do these two assemblies engage the crank snout the same depth ?

I think the first thing is to determine the actual offset if there is any. So put the dampener on the crank and then set a straight edge in the crank pulley and then see where it rests in the water pump pulley fan hub and then also the generator pulley. They basically all should align up on the same straight edge.  I can not tell you the amount of offset that is permissible but maybe a qualified mechanic could answer that question but I would think there might be  very little or none to prevent bearing wear and stress on the components when the engine is running.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I examined the seal wear pattern on both.  Taking a leap of faith and making the assumption that both seals were of the same type. The wear marks indicate about an 1/8 to 3/16” difference. This leads me to believe the hub does not engage the crank snout the same depth. But of course the proof is in the pudding. I wont be able to do much further real world checks until I get to installing the part. Kind of frustrating....