D24 Original front and rear track.

Leary

All,

I'm currently in the process of getting my D24 re-registered. I don't know what you guys have heard about vehicle standards and registration here in Oz, but it varies state to state and modifications from the original baseline can be problematic on where you are and which official you speak to at the time...

My D24 has already had a number of modifications performed by previous owners. Specifically I need to know the original hub to hub/track widths front and rear. Is anyone able to provide these dimensions? This is so i can compare to what I have now.

I note a few books and online references have mentioned a 'wheel tread' of front: 57" and rear 60" for the D24. Is this dimension the same as track?

For the Australian readers, mine has a '94 Ford Falcon 3.23 rear diff with disc brakes and front hubs and discs from i think a'71-'74 HQ Holden and Calipers from a '97-'00 VT Commodore.

Leary

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

20170226_110313.jpg

• Like 2

Leary, I assume from the plates that your in NSW?...........have you compared what you have to that 57/60 measurement? which is the same that I have for P15 Plymouth & D25 Dodge tho' I can't find anything for the D24 US cars,, but I would think would be the same......has your car been subframed or just the disc adaption?.........I have an EA/EB Falcon wagon rear end in my Dodge which was a straight bolt in.............have you "engineering" problems?.............hwere are you and who have you spoken to so far?.............ring me on 02 66425963 anytime...............andyd.

Edited by Andydodge
info

12 minutes ago, Leary said:

All,

I'm currently in the process of getting my D24 re-registered. I don't know what you guys have heard about vehicle standards and registration here in Oz, but it varies state to state and modifications from the original baseline can be problematic on where you are and which official you speak to at the time...

My D24 has already had a number of modifications performed by previous owners. Specifically I need to know the original hub to hub/track widths front and rear. Is anyone able to provide these dimensions? This is so i can compare to what I have now.

I note a few books and online references have mentioned a 'wheel tread' of front: 57" and rear 60" for the D24. Is this dimension the same as track?

For the Australian readers, mine has a '94 Ford Falcon 3.23 rear diff with disc brakes and front hubs and discs from i think a'71-'74 HQ Holden and Calipers from a '97-'00 VT Commodore.

Leary

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

20170226_110313.jpg

I am eaten alive with envy! That sure is a pretty car!

Hi Andy, I was in NSW, now in SA. hence the Rego debacle.

While I initially thought the rear was the same as the EF, it seems the last bloke was a fan of running insanely large tires and had the rear end narrowed to accommodate. Going through old notes, i think the rear Face to Face is measurement is 1515mm (59.64") but it seems a bit narrow for the car.

No sub frame, the front just has an adapter. I'll try and dig up pics.

Who have you spoken to?.......are you in a club down there......ring me or I can ring you........pm or email your number to scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au .........................andyd

track is center of tire to center of tire....track is altered with use of adapters or offset wheels other than stock or suspension upgrades from a clip or other modification to chassis that will narrow or widen at the axles.  Your stock wheels are neutral (no offset +/-) and thus with any tire mounted your track will not change as the width will be same inner/outer on any larger/smaller than stock tire.  This is the measurement in the book for track...center tread to center tread...

• Like 1

Plymouthy.........Learys query also had me perplexed as the Mopar manuals state a"tread" measurement and to be honest I've only ever known the centre of the tyre to tyre as the "track" measurement, at least thats what its known by down here anyway..........lol.................Leary.......have you spoken to anyone in the SA ASRF or TAC  or a local engineering signatory yet?.............did your car have an engineers report for rego in NSW?............what front end does it have?............are you sure the diff has been narrowed?.................andyd

Leary, I just measured the spare Borg Warner EA/EB wagon rear axle I have and its 61.5" wheel mounting face to face...........you mention that yours is 59.64 which is near enough to 2" less and would seem to be a lot of work to go thru just to narrow a diff 2"............but maybe the EF did use a slightly narrower rear axle.............andyd   

Andy,

Sorry, I meant to call you over the W/E but got busy with other life stuff... I'll try and give you a call during the week. The car never came with NSW Engineer certificates, and as its LHD it doesn't qualify under the usual Street Rod arrangements, but the SA ASRF TAC will no doubt be a wealth of info. I'll be making plenty of inquiries during the week.

Plymouthy/Andy,

Your comments confirm my thoughts on the track/tread terminology. Older speak from the other side of the globe sometimes misses the mark on a 34 YO Aussie :-). Cheers.

Andy,

Yep, the bloke who had the car before me had more than a few odd ideas, but the work he performed is usually sound. The silly bit is he took 2" off the diff just so he could run 295 wheels which then required 15mm hub spacers...

Your measurements confirm my earlier investigations and is a great help. The 2" that has been taken off makes it a tad narrow and just enough to make it scrub under cornering. I'll very likely grab another diff and install that. While I'm going to the effort, I'll likely add the Ford OEM Watts linkage. The Old Man has an EA parts car that still has the diff. I'll likely steal that depending on its condition. 

Leary

Leary..........as mentioned I have an EA/EB Falcon Wagon Borg Warner diff, complete disc to disc......the Falcon wagons are semi elliptic so it had the spring plate and they were a perfect fit on the Dodge rear springs..........one U bolt on each side fitted on the Ford spring plate and I had to drill holes on the other side of the spring in the spring plate to suit the other U bolt......the Dodge springs are 1.75" wide but the Fords are 2.5-3.0" wide so the Ford spring plate was wide enough......even the pinion angle was o/k............some of these diffs are LSD's and have a tag indicating same.........I run 10x15 Magnums with 275/60 T/A's and have widened the rear guards 2" each side( see the 1974/75 pic with the F60 & L60 Gates Renegades tyres, lol) , occaisonally they touch the inner body going over a driveway but not in normal driving/cornering.................what rear suspension does the car have at present?...........curious why the Watts linkage idea......don't get me wrong, they are a great arrangement but not normally seen on a semi elliptic sprung suspension.................andyd        

img005 (5).jpg

Edited by Andydodge

• 3 weeks later...

Thread update,

I went to the local wreckers and pulled a 1994 EF falcon wagon diff. Now, I don't know about the Plymouths, but they are not quite a 'bolt straight in' unit. Damn close, but relocating the spring perch outwards was required. I was hoping to do as Andy has mentioned but it could not be done. No big deal as this allowed me to sort the pinion angle. I also had to weld on some new sway bar mounts as the wagons didn't have a rear sway bar where as the sedans did.

I'll add some photos soon.

Leary