Jump to content
pflaming

Off topic hobbies

Recommended Posts

Gardening. 

Recently have also developed an interest in what some are calling 'cyclekarts' - mini cycle cars with 6.5 HP one lungers as the power source.  (The biggest problem is the cost of the wheels - 17" motorcycle wheels are specified.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a collection of soda pop bottles with ACL labels. Mostly local/non-name brands plus some of the "filled by" Mountain Dew bottles. Majority are 12oz. or less plus a few big glass quart ones.

 

Also made a 3 hr round trip today to pick up an EM pinball machine, "Sky Divers" by Bally. Worked at an arcade as a teenager and enjoy tinkering with them to try to get them working again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see.  Running, hunting, hiking, snowshoeing, camping, canoeing, pop bottles (painted or molded labels only, 432 at current count), cuckoo clocks, home brewing, yard work (evolved into "forestry" when we moved to Maine), reading/learning, shooting, archery, woodwork, electronics, restoring furniture, home repair/remodel (an odd "hobby" perhaps, but it's something I enjoy), antiquing (junkin'), volunteering in the community, and stuff with the B.P.O. Elks.  The ones I've forgotten I tried once and didn't like, so these are not necessarily daily, weekly, or even monthly things I / we enjoy doing, but I've been doing a lot of them since I was a kid, and we've been doing most of them we've been married, 33 years ago.  The missus likes to bake/cook, too.  I can (depending on who you ask), but other than grilling or smoking, I don't like to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

 pop bottles (painted or molded labels only, 432 at current count)

 

Curiosity got to me so I took "inventory".... 175 on display, 200 more or so that are duplicates or common bottles (Coke, Pepsi, 7-UP) that is trading stock and sitting in a closet. 

 

Looks like I will have to hit the garage sales and flea markets this summer to catch up to Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm into vintage tube guitar amps. I also build tube amps from scratch. My wife is a wood worker and makes wonderful period correct finger joint pine cabinets. I build the circuits and assemble everything.  Here is some of our work:

 

kCdmFumBfZBber-HoOodfDFQaj2Yzz9p3IwRi0ld

 

uTyUmCWgVMhJsGHtJNCrFQzrUSfwf7IVK2VG-e9d

 

 

Some of my gear.

 

Jz-WrQnlycvfsJ0I6VLtHDrtDjB6ATQgTrmWN68b

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, iowa51 said:

 

Curiosity got to me so I took "inventory".... 175 on display, 200 more or so that are duplicates or common bottles (Coke, Pepsi, 7-UP) that is trading stock and sitting in a closet. 

 

Looks like I will have to hit the garage sales and flea markets this summer to catch up to Dan.

Yeah, it got a little out of control for a few years, I'd find broken examples, then get obsessed with finding a good one.  I have shelves to put 130 on display, but haven't put them up since moving to Maine. We have a bit more room here, so will probably expand the display a bit.  I have a few national brands (we collect the Coke bottles for where we're at, not for as many locations as possible), but mostly unique southwest bottlers.  Quite a few duplicates for trading purposes, but haven't gotten into the horse-trading aspect yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

we collect the Coke bottles for where we're at, not for as many locations as possible), but mostly unique southwest bottlers. 

 

So I take it that coke bottles are somewhat different in some regions? Question, do they resemble beer cans in Wisconsin and wine bottles in Napa Valley, CA?  D.C. Bottles then must have two faces! LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also sorta' "collect" Bible commentaries, Greek Lexicons, etc.  Weird, I suppose, but I was a Bible translator, and I often have questions about a given text, as to how different people interpret it, and if there is an unusual one, then also whether there is linguistic evidence for their interpretation.

 

But  my wife says I collect junk.  (What is 'junk' to her is just stuff I haven't found a use for yet.)  Also have a bunch of old 78's (records) that go back to the late 40's - Western Swing, etc., and a 1921 phonograph.  But it isn't a collection, because I only have one.  When I was a teenager I started a 'collection' of unusual brass doorknobs, but I only ever found 2 or so that I really liked.  The only one I still have (and the one that got me started with it) has a non-symmetrical design on it - that's what got me interested in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a number of things that interest me and I do buy a few items here and there that suit my fancy.  Most relate to a by-gone time in the past...but the truth be known, I think in reality all I am truly collecting is dust.  Guess I collect tools more than anything else as there no substitute for the correct tool for any given job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what, there is something besides old trucks?

 

I think many of you know I woodwork for fun and truck money.  I also enjoy 4-wheeling, (used to) skydive, playing hockey (hopefully my knee will let me this year), collecting brewery growlers, yard work, growing trees and gardening, and most important of all: keeping the wife happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

what, there is something besides old trucks?

 

I think many of you know I woodwork for fun and truck money.  I also enjoy 4-wheeling, (used to) skydive, playing hockey (hopefully my knee will let me this year), collecting brewery growlers, yard work, growing trees and gardening, and most important of all: keeping the wife happy!

You can tell mark is a newlywed, he still thinks it’s possible to keep his wife happy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let them fun ya Mark, Julie is happy when i am at my shop working on my/ her trucks and leaving her alone  :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, keithb7 said:

I'm into vintage tube guitar amps. I also build tube amps from scratch. My wife is a wood worker and makes wonderful period correct finger joint pine cabinets. I build the circuits and assemble everything.  Here is some of our work:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some of my gear.

 

 

 

You have some nice gear.. Good work on the Deluxe amps, too!! I built a clone of my '57 Vibrolux 10-12 years ago. Had another guy build the cabinet, though. 

Homebuilt.jpg

Supro and LP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, pflaming said:

 

So I take it that coke bottles are somewhat different in some regions? Question, do they resemble beer cans in Wisconsin and wine bottles in Napa Valley, CA?  D.C. Bottles then must have two faces! LOL 

Outwardly they are all the same, but the "classic Coke bottle" ones have the different cities where they were bottled molded into the bottom.  Some collectors try to get as many cities as possible, or all of the cities, with some being rarer than others for various reasons.  I.e., we lived in Carlsbad, NM for a number of years.  They had a Coke bottling facility, but it wasn't very big and it closed in the 50's, so there are Carlsbad, NM Coke bottles out there, but not many.  My gig is to find out which city the Coke was bottled in for where we happen to be living, then find a few of those.  It's surprising how many small towns would have a bottling plant, and where some cities turn up.  I do have a couple D.C. ones, not so much two faced, but perhaps a couple ounces shy of full capacity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

not so much two faced, but perhaps a couple ounces shy of full capacity...

 

Do you have any of the ones allegedly tampered with during the Tylenol event? LOL  

on a serious note, yes there were/are many small bottlers across the country, I would guess that was to reduce their freight costs. Also, Pepsi was about to go under and as a last ditch effort started the liter bottle, container less expensive than glass and volume sales, obviously it was successful. TKS for the information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

   Some collectors try to get as many cities as possible, or all of the cities, with some being rarer than others for various reasons. 

 

Any idea of how many cities there were that bottled the Coke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use