Off topic hobbies

pflaming

Somewhere around here I have some of those cardboard coin collecting books full of coins. I have several loose 1943 steel pennies but I don't think I ever had a '42. I also have 12-15 consecutive Mercury dimes I got at a gas station in the early '70s. They gave me one in change and I asked if they had any more. Gave them a dime each for them.

I bought a couple of two drawer file cabinets at an auction a few years back for $1.00. Got 'em home, ready to toss in the shed and saw some bills peeking out. My wife asked if they were real and after looking at them I said "Yeah, Real Confederate money!!" 3 Confederate $20.00 bills in plastic carriers. They aren't super collectible but they're worth more than the $1 I had in the filing cabinets... 

20 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

"Yeah, Real Confederate money!!" 3 Confederate $20.00 bills in plastic carriers. They aren't super collectible but they're worth more than the $1 I had in the filing cabinets... 

Isn't that still acceptable fare in MO. LOL 

On 3/25/2018 at 6:27 PM, GCastle50 said:

I collect coins, more specifically wheat cents. Been doing it for about 3 years now. 

Me too,  I am interested in bullion..... silver and gold. :D

(I will offer anyone 10 US dollars for a Troy oz.) 

16 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Me too,  I am interested in bullion..... silver and gold. :D

(I will offer anyone 10 US dollars for a Troy oz.) 

how come I imagine you with a vault like Scrooge McDuck that you go swimming in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love all the hobbies. Re the 42 penny, I think only a very few copper ones were made, very few. The silver ones were to save copper fro War efforts! 

Edited by pflaming

I've got to do Route 66, probably when I drive the truck to Indy and give it to our daughter. A jaunt to Barstow, Ca to the 66 museum would be a fun group outing. 

• 1 month later...

Just opened this thread again. Great work on the maps. My wife and I traveled much of the Route 66 trip in March. Hope to go back and catch more of it soon.

• Like 1

In addition to my addiction to old vehicles especially my B1B, I am also a Civil War reenactor / living historian. I started reenacting about 20 yrs ago doing cavalry . I broke my back racing MX . After that I couldn't ride my horse anymore to I decided to change branches of service and my friends and I started the 1st Texas light artillery / 3rd US Co A. In addition to reenactments we also participate in presentations and demonstrations at schools as well as memorial salutes and such. In addition to the events we have here in AZ, I have participated as a 8th Illinois Federal cavalry trooper at the 140th Gettysburg event as well as the battle of Kellys Ford in Virginia. Our battery consists of a 1841 6lbr, 1841 Mountain Howitzer, Tredagar Mountain rifle,1862 Gatling gun, and 3 breech loading Williams guns. In case yall are wondering about Civil War reenactments in Arizona. The western most battle of the Civil War was the battle/skirmish of Picacho Pass happened on April 15, 1862. It happened near the Picacho Butterfield Stage remount station about 50 miles NW of Tucson along what is now I-10. There were also a few that happened in New Mexico as well.  I am the one firing the field pieces in both pics.  Some of you might recognize the building in the first pic located at Old Tucson movie studios It is the ranch house from the High Chaparral. The Old Tucson event is not a reenactment. Old Tucson has us come out and do a event or two each year for the folks. Im the one firing the field piece in both photos

12728933_10208611491589895_5427037689683744542_n (1).jpg

20160221_161527.jpeg

15156830_1581592911865468_2039885744364519970_o.jpg

Edited by John Rogers
spelling
  • Thanks 2

Motorcycles are probably my 2nd favorite hobby after cars.. Especially weeklong or longer trips on them.  Recently rode a lil 250cc from Phoenix to Michigan, and have take my Ural sidecar with my dog out to Colorado, and around Lake Superior camping most nights.

xg8QpTX.jpg

xdztMEA.jpg

Non-vehicle related hobbies I enjoy messing with computers, lately especially building Plex servers (basically a personal Netflix), my server has 100TB+ of hard drive space running on Unraid OS and has been streaming to myself and friends for 2+ years now with a 99.9% uptime.. not shabby for a homebuilt unit that only draws about 70w of power the majority of the time.

dZsPHAO.jpg

Edited by epix1718

6 hours ago, casper50 said:

Can't view it.. maybe b/c of privacy settings. 

4 hours ago, casper50 said:

85 Tb atm
1500va/1000watt ups
1 gig switch
2 cable modems 
NVR system with 6 1440p camera
Running on cat6a 

32464539_10155155221801537_4248851132631220224_n.jpg

Please speak English!!

• Thanks 1