Clock repair recomendations.

casper50

Set it to 5 o’clock and leave it alone. Unless you’re looking for concourse quality, its really not worth repairing. If your car is not a daily driver, the clock will just drain your battery if left energized. The alternate to repair is to replace the guts with a modern battery driven motor. There are threads in the archives here that describe that in full.

• Like 1

Take your clock apart. What have you got to lose? (besides some critical screws)

I fixed a broken solder connection in my clock (Lower left, coil winding to brass strip):  The clock is working again. 

5a62287b52024_clockapart(10)opensolderjont.JPG.a3cf2bb90a9935955927d138406a485a.JPG

The clock has two major components: the clockworks and the winding mechanism.  The solenoid moves the winding mechanism, and when the mechanism reaches the end of its travel, the solenoid is energized again.   Tick tick, tick, and every few minutes, clunk.  Tick, tick, tick.  Music to my ears.  Sometimes I reconect the battery,  just to hear the clock. 5a6228e2b2e3e_clockapart(5).JPG.25ec6d1e7a18706024dc2021a65856d8.JPG

(Edit:  I should say that the two parts are the clockworks and the solenoid mechanism.  The winding arm, seen in the second photo above,  and the winding mechannism, are part of the clockworks, and are not seen in the first photo of the solenoid and its switches. )

Edited by DonaldSmith
clarification
  • Like 2

It's almost always worn dirty contact points on the 46-48 Chrysler clocks. I've always done my own. 1 Hr flat at most.

The dodge clock looks the same.

When I had my 41 Plymouth I found that original 41 Plymouth clocks were a kings ransom........so when a nice NOS one was ebayed for $800 US I got a nice pic downloaded, cut it to size and made a holder and a clear plastic cover for it and stuck it in the dash...........was perfect, never wore out the battery, kept accurate time twice daily and looked pretty...........and me being a tight arsed aussie cost me about $1.00...........lol..................andyd 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1