engine id help

homer41

Can anyone help me ID this engine? This is what the guy sent me. A picture will follow.   Dave

Edited by homer41

5 hours ago, homer41 said:

Could it have been a replacement engine that was ground over and restamped?   Dave

has the look of being reworked.....Plymouth truck prefix...my thoughts would be that the engine was sourced from another vehicle/application and stamped with the original engine number to keep the title application correct....but, that is just my opinion

• Like 1

I think this is the engine he said came out of a 2 ton truck,  he said he has some mopar friends that wanted to get it running and they got it running. I have talked to him and lots of emails  have gone between us. There are 2 engines, this one will run, a p24 that has not run in a while, both are complete. Extra trans carbs and other things. He said 500 for both or offer, the kicker IS he says if they are not usable he will give my money back!  He said the p24 is all painted nice, but that could be lipstick on a pig or a rebuilt engine.  I have not seen the engines, five hour drive away. He is not trying to sell the engines, i found out about them from a guy in Wisconsin who builds kits to put old pickups on s10 frames. Dave

Are there any outside features on these engines that would point toward a year of manufacture beside the block number. I have not measurdd the stroke, that will tell 218 or 230 right? Will a 230 rotating element fit right into a 218 block?  Dave

Not trying to put a dampener on this transaction but that engine number pad looks like its been got at for some reason, I'd try and check whether your local DMT would accept that amount of "reworking" as Plymouthy calls it............andyd  

Our DMV does not title with the engine # only the vehicle number, I already did the title thing, I have a clear title.  Dave

Homer, thats good as here in Oz whilst the chassis/body number is generally used for rego, having an engine block with an engine number pad ground and hacked into would be a bellringer and would get some questions as to "is this engine hot" and at the very least would delay any registration until they had a definate answer that they were happy with & didn't indicate a stolen engine.........lol... ........andyd