steering gear for 1948 ply

patterson

hello,

my name is Patrick from Berlin and i am buliding a 1948 plymouth 4 door, it gets a 318 poly engine from 1964, a904 transmission and a chrysler 7 1/4 rear axle...

I want to use the engine mount kit from butchs cool stuff and want the engine in center, no offset to the passenger side... so i can´t use the stock steering gear and column...

so i need a smaller steering box, at best with the same output shaft spline, so i can use the stock piman arm...

I am sure that somebody did it in the past, i searched the topics but i have find not much.

greets Patrick

Good luck to you,but I think you are fighting gravity. Especially with a poly engine. They are pretty wide.

I mounted a gm 525 manual steering box onto my 41 plymouth with stock suspension. 41 plymouth pitman arm fit right on. I don’t know how that would work for your poly install. Also  41 frame is a little different at the box location than a 48. Not much but enough that a template of my adapter wouldn’t be a direct fit on yours. 

I have had a 318 Poly in my 1940 Dodge since 1973..............I tried to use a stock steering box even to the extent of cutting the Oz drivers side front "ear" off the poly block to get some clearance but that still didn't give enough clearance for the stock steering box so I ended up using an Austin 1800 rack & pinion narrowed 9"...........the engine mounts I have are not the original style, more like early ford "biscuit" style and I accommodated the lack of the engine mount "ear" on the drivers side of the block by making the mount use a bolt hole on the cylinder head as well...........my suggestion would be to use the Cavalier style centre pivot rack & pinion, as far as I know some Vauxhalls and SAAB's used the same box, also you may find a small steering box from a Japanese car might fit but as Knuckle has said the Poly is a WIDE engine...............have attached a couple of pics of the engine & steering setup...........don't have any of the actual mounts tho' and anyway they wouldn't be much help due to my oddball setup...........regards, Andy Douglas        

P1000695 (800x600).jpg

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

IMG_1574.JPG

Thank you guys!

Yes space is a big theme but i am a big fan of poly engines, specially second generation with torqueflight transmissions.

I was thinking about an Vega style steering box because they are smaller.

But the 525 manual box is also an option... I need to find out the dimensions of the steering boxes...

Junkers..............what engine are you running in this car?.............re the actual steering box mount, are the grub screws used to lock the countersunk cap screws from undoing?.........got more pics?........this looks like a sanitary setup..............andyd. 

homemade flat plate adapter fastened to 525 box and an additional spacer needed to fill impression for original isolator/steering gear.

05ECB9DD-D1A2-4624-9818-8D487E994B20.jpeg

5B7B2F55-DC9B-43E4-8476-C5437A9AC9A7.jpeg

patterson, I would have to dig up some more pics. I don’t know if it would help you with your engine choice anyway. I went this route because my original steering box was shot . Running a 3/4 DD shaft and 2 joints.

I think thats a very good solution with the 525 and not so expensive, if i have enough space...

After a detailed search I have found some pictures from the cavalier rack and pinion setups, also intresting... i have found a manual rack and pinion from vw T3 or ford sierra... maybe i can make that work in mine but i have to be careful to geht a german registration...

Keeping the original steering wheel is also my goal... with or without the original steering column.

I have heart that the "aftermarket" spline from flaming river 11/16 36 and that could be the same as original...

greets Patrick

48 minutes ago, patterson said:

I think thats a very good solution with the 525 and not so expensive, if i have enough space...

After a detailed search I have found some pictures from the cavalier rack and pinion setups, also intresting... i have found a manual rack and pinion from vw T3 or ford sierra... maybe i can make that work in mine but i have to be careful to geht a german registration...

Keeping the original steering wheel is also my goal... with or without the original steering column.

I have heart that the "aftermarket" spline from flaming river 11/16 36 and that could be the same as original...

greets Patrick

Keeping your original column and steering wheel is not a problem. Just cut your column and shaft off inside the engine compartment and use one or more of the U-Joint connectors to connect your old steering shaft to the steering shaft on the new steering box or rack and pinion setup.