52 ply pics

palmersparts

Ok guys   im hoping for an early spring so i can go get her off the hill were she has been for over 40 years and out of the sagebrush and weeds! But i did manage to get to her and get some pics.   Time wasn't on my side tho as you can see a storm was coming so i only got a few....

pass.jpg

frntrt (2).jpg

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to spring because it's not winter.

the body is in decent shape. there is some rust in the panel below the trunk lid... But the interior is gone. When i got down there the other day  the drivers window was down about 3 inches good news is i got it rolled back up. The back drivers door was open about 2 inches and the pass front door was open 1 click...  i did get all of em closed  but it was pretty damp inside...  im betting i find the floorboards in need of patching...  I remember as a kid being able to open the drivers door and climb in.... that was before the sagebrush got so tall.. The good news is the original keys are in the ignition and the switch did turn.    I wonder if those old bias ply tube tires will hold air long enough to get it 1/2 mile to dads shop??

int.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, palmersparts said:

the body is in decent shape. there is some rust in the panel below the trunk lid... But the interior is gone. When i got down there the other day  the drivers window was down about 3 inches good news is i got it rolled back up. The back drivers door was open about 2 inches and the pass front door was open 1 click...  i did get all of em closed  but it was pretty damp inside...  im betting i find the floorboards in need of patching...  I remember as a kid being able to open the drivers door and climb in.... that was before the sagebrush got so tall.. The good news is the original keys are in the ignition and the switch did turn.    I wonder if those old bias ply tube tires will hold air long enough to get it 1/2 mile to dads shop??

int.jpg

I would be more worried about the tires turning than not holding air. 40 years is a looong time for something to sit without the brake drums rusting up. Sitting on a hill in Idaho is a big plus in your favor,but still......

Maybe you could get up there with a jack and jack it up enough to see if each wheel spins before you make too many plans to tow it anywhere? BTW,it is MUCH easier to break one lose with the tire still bolted to the hub. Leverage and all that sorta stuff.

The good news is that freeing up the front drums is usually pretty easy if it doesn't spin when you try to spin the tires. IF they are rusted shut take some dykes and just cut the heads off the brake shoe locator clips  on the rear of the backing plates,loosen the castle nut holding the brake drum to the spindle,and whack face and outside of the brake drum with a BFH. Hammer weight is more important than impact velocity. The idea is to create vibrations that will allow the shoes to free themselves from the drum. Once the drums move off the seat a little,you can spray some penetrate on the brake shoes from behind,tap them back on again,then try to pull them off again.

The first car I got to drive around on the sand dunes and the beach when I was a kid was a 52 Plymouth,but I can't remember if the rear brake drums are mounted on the trapered axles with a key like on the earlier models,or if they are just held on with bolts. If they are a press fit on a tapered axle with a key,make sure you take the right puller with you because you are going to have to work to pull them.

Probably the best/easiest way if the brake drums are rusted shut is to just winch it up on a trailer and take it to where you can work on it inside. I've done this several times. Take a couple of quarts of ATF with you and use them to lube the ramps,trailer floor,and even the tire bottoms once they get out of the dirt,and it will load and unload pretty easily. No need to work hard out in the cold and the wind if you don't have to.

The tapered axle/brake drum idea was used on mopars till the early 60's, sometimes you can be lucky just undoing the large centre nut a little and tapping on the drum around the centre taper but most times you need a BIG puller that bolts onto the brake drum, centres onto the 1-2 thread loosened nut tightly and then a good solid WACK in the centre of the puller "should" loosen the drum..............but not always, sometimes it needs a retighten against the centre nut and another WACK................. be careful to maybe loosen the axle centre nut until its aligned with the actual end of the threads on the axle so that the nut protects the threads against the large centre "bolt" of the puller and wacking against the axle by itself doesn't damage the threads..............heres a pic of the puller I bought 45 yrs ago to get the drums off my 1940 Dodge, this puller hasn't seen a tapered axle it didn't like...........lol............nice car BTW......regards from Oz.........andyd

P1000765 (800x600).jpg

Well  ive got to move the 51 2ton chev truck thats parked in front of it dead 1st. Then we will see what happens, dads shop is a lil under 1/2 mile from where she is currently and its all dirt/sand road to the shop..  I have wondered about trying to move/drag it while there is still some ice and mud over the road...  ill see what the end of the week brings  one weather report says rain  one says snow....

rtrr.jpg

Fill those tires with air, that will separate them from the formed dirt and free them to roll. If you have to, deflate first then refill, put it in neutral, get a good tractor and pull it home. If the brakes are stuck, not to worry, won't hurt a thing. 

I bought a parts car years ago from a junkyard that had been sitting for years.  My buddy that hauled it hooked to it and noticed the wheels weren't turning as he pulled it. He said no prob, he grabbed a block of oak from the bed of the wrecker and a sledge hammer. I held the block and he gave it a swift smack on the wheel face. walked to the other side did the same thing, freed it right up. ( disclaimer: He didn't hit it hard, your not wanting to bend a rim here, it's more of a shock thing). 

Good luck with your find keep us posted.

Dartgame   I inherited this car... my dads dad bought it brand new in 52 for $495.  I was even given a copy of the original title....  I hope DMV lets me keep it..  I keep asking dad if there are any 52 license plates still floating around..  Idaho will let you have a vintage plate restored and with paying the proper fee register and use it..

Edited by palmersparts
typo

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Cool car. As soon as I saw your pics it reminded me of a local Plymouth I recently discovered. This one is lawn art currently.

tf_cXpZeLUdmYaCw7b7d-Auojwjn3Ez8beWXQ827

I like the fact that the owner bothered to build up a raised gravel bed for it to sit on so it would never be sitting in water.