overdrive trans repair shop in Simi Valley/San Fernando Valley CA area

Ernie Baily

I understand to repair an R10 is not that difficult, so I'm going to do mine myself. I do not know of a shop, sorry. This is mine, cleaned up but not evaluated yet for workability. 

IMG_2025.JPG

I have talked with George Asche about it, but I would like to think there is someone closer then Penn. I just don't trust myself to attemp to do the rebuild myself. I'm looking into the shipping costs today. Its just that the car works so good, I hate to tear it down. I've done everything I'm capable of doing myself(At wits end!).

Ernie Baily

2 hours ago, motterso said:

What is it not doing properly? Might be more of an electrical issue than mechanical. The R10's are pretty tough.

.... unless you make the mistake of running them a little too low on transmission oil, in which case the OD gears will take an immense dislike for each other and will promptly strip the teeth off of everything.  Yes, I can attest to this personally.

Marty

48 minutes ago, martybose said:

.... unless you make the mistake of running them a little too low on transmission oil, in which case the OD gears will take an immense dislike for each other and will promptly strip the teeth off of everything.  Yes, I can attest to this personally.

Hmmm, So can the rear seal be replaced while in the car? Mine's leaking a bit back there. Is it a difficult seal to pull and replace?

I grew up with overdrives In the '50's and with muddy, rutty, hilly roads, ice, snow, rain and drag racing I never heard of an overdrive failure. I'm getting ready to install mine. I will change the oil, wire it properly and drive it until it quits. Nice thing about that is that if it quits, you can then switch it in to manual to drive home, then put your three speed back in while you repair the OD. JMHO 

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

I grew up with overdrives In the '50's and with muddy, rutty, hilly roads, ice, snow, rain and drag racing I never heard of an overdrive failure. I'm getting ready to install mine. I will change the oil, wire it properly and drive it until it quits. Nice thing about that is that if it quits, you can then switch it in to manual to drive home, then put your three speed back in while you repair the OD. JMHO 

All very true.  Mine failed because I had had the front of the car jacked way up in the air while I was having the steering box rebuilt, and for several reasons didn't notice the oil coming out of the rear seal.  When I took it out to check out the steering fix i shifted into overdrive it whined for about 10 seconds, then let go.  As you stated, I stopped, shifted out of overdrive and drove it home.

Marty

Mine used to work great, but then it started to pop fuses, so I made a new wiring loom for it. Then one of the little contact points came off in the solenoid, so I ordered a replacement solenoid . Well, the replacement relay was defective according to George Asche. He checked my original and said it was fine. I also replaced the kickdown switch too! I put everything back together along with cleaning up the under dash wiring. Now when I test drive all works great in normal drive, but when I push in the overdrive cable it seems like its working because it freewheels with no noise at all. It also goes into reverse fine so that makes me think the rail lockout switch is fine. but it just won't shift into overdrive( I had the govenor rebuilt too!) when I back off the throttle. The other thing that was mentioned was the voltage thru the system. I'm not sure how to check that. I'm just running out of ideas/things to do!

Plyroadking on this forum knows and rebuilds these overdrives. Everyone he rebuilds is installed in his 40 Plymouth and test driven before given to customer. A good guy you can trust. Located in Des Moines, Iowa.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike! I strive to sell something I know will bolt in and work the first time. 

Ernie, I've been to Cedar Rapids many times. A good friend I met at Iowa State lives in Waverly, he's a ford guy but I'm sure one day he'll own a quality car. I originally grew up in northern California and still visit a couple times a year. My email address is plyroadking@gmail.com 

I'd check your lockout switch, I have a jar full of ones that had lube leak into them and insulate the contacts. They are available NOS. I usually troubleshoot them by running a ground wire to the lockout wire terminal on the kickdown switch. I push the cable in, turn the ignition on, (without starting the engine) and listen for the relay and solenoid to click. 

I did the test you suggested and I do hear the click. I'm thinking something is not aligned with the solenoid pawl or its not fully engaging, I just don't know what to do!

Ernie

Well, As a followup. I found my original solonoid amoung my stuff on my work bench, so I sent it to George Asche to look over to see if it could be repaired. He did repair it and it came in the mail yesterday. So I put it in and low and behold the car worked great everytime! I guess the china repro was not strong enough to totally engage. Now I don't have to rebuild the trans.

So Thank You all for your comments and advice! I'm back on the road cruising again!