Tie Down Hooks - Thoughts?

FlashBuddy

13 hours ago, pflaming said:

Thanks 48. If you look closely you will see two ropes (red) across the cover. I liked that because if an inside object extends too high I just raise the lid and tie down the lid with the ropes. It's interesting that some people comment on such a simple solution. Another advantage of keeping on old truck an old truck. It also allows me to use the side hooks

IMG_7274.JPG

Yep......it is not anyone is going to notice a few more chingas. I want to know if it doubles as your camper shell? :)

Camper shell:  it started out that way, but current needs and lack of time won out. I've got all the tubing to make a frame for a canvas fishing trip sleeper. Would do a double canvas exterior with insulation sandwiched between. 

Depending on the weight of the load to be secured and the condition of floor of the bed one could utilize a flush mount arrangement or some sort. With strategic placement of the loop or hook in relation to the cross members and or bed mounting bolts and possibly some reinforcement on the underside as well this would work really well. I used something very similar to this when I raced motocross to tie down my bikes into the back of my truck. Possibly something similar to this could be used .

John

2504-recessed-pan-fitting-trailer-tie-down-fittings-anchor-ring_1_640.jpg

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Rogers said:

Depending on the weight of the load to be secured and the condition of floor of the bed one could utilize a flush mount arrangement or some sort. With strategic placement of the loop or hook in relation to the cross members and or bed mounting bolts and possibly some reinforcement on the underside as well this would work really well. I used something very similar to this when I raced motocross to tie down my bikes into the back of my truck. Possibly something similar to this could be used .

John

2504-recessed-pan-fitting-trailer-tie-down-fittings-anchor-ring_1_640.jpg

these but in SS are my plan for the bed for TODD

• 10 months later...

I plan to do the same with my 49 as I did with my chevy.

The side rails slide into the stake pockets, I only put the side rails on when I plan to haul something. Otherwise they sit in the shed.

I admit that it is a compromise and not perfect, but in a few min I have tie downs, without adding any holes / hooks permanent.

IMG_20181203_110750189.jpg

Thought would add another photo, I use door hinges to hold the front section to the sides. I just pull the pins to separate them. I use my plastic hammer to drive them in to assemble. The sides do not flop around while driving, would break the wood first before they would pull out of the stake pockets. Unless you get 4 guys and lift equally on 4 corners. Driving conditions would not recreate that.

Oh look, we caught a hound dog in the wild  :D

IMG_20181203_112058040.jpg

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 2

I’m really enjoying this thread! I am about to redo my wood and I’m also thinking about tie down stuff.

The tonneau style hooks I never saw before and I’m surprised that all of them actually look totally right on there- the hand forged looking one especially. I was considering brass cleats or flush d-rings in the corners and possibly even a central ring.

I want to be able to use mine to secure a load in the bed but also as lift points if I want to lift off just the wood or the whole bed with an engine hoist. 

• 4 weeks later...

rope%20hook.JPG

IMG_24471.JPG

These were on my 48 Power wagon when I got it and Vintage Power Wagons sells them for $24 ea.  I had 7 so I found a lot on ebay that were similar but turned out to be larger. I am actually selling those on ebay right now (rope hooks) for $5 ea

I like the original style and location of the Doggie D tie downs on these old trucks.   I kept mine in place when I built my military model a few years back....I originally had a 383 and ab 833 four speed in it with hydraulic clutch....got tired of that and went with 440 and torqueflite a few years later.  This thing would jump straight up into the air when goosed...

41 Dodge.jpg

• Like 1

this truck was an exercise in patience.....day I brought it home...…..my buddy donated the wheels......there was none that came with the truck when I found it.....this build I spent 9 months doing.....I was in a position to be able to dedicate a bit of time to the build...

570115-123018.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

big question.....are those legal railroad spikes....???????  them folks are very protective of their products....while they do not call authorities, local scrapper CANNOT buy a spike if found amount a bunch of scrap.....these tiedowns are a novel idea....and yes you see these spikes everywhere.....still, I would have to shy away....I can read the headlines now as a railroad upper management or a special agent for the railroad police spies these at a car show and impounds the vehicle....:eek:  not saying this would happen...not saying it could not happen either.

Back in the 80's in the Ca. Bay Area a General Contractor was building a new concrete tilt-up type building which I guess was on a older industrial plot that had a railroad spur track on the property which was removed, tracks,spikes, ties off to a side area.

Near the end on the job the Supervisor on site decided to sell the left over RR pieces as best he could, scrap etc. THEN the railroad police showed up and had called the local PD also.

They wanted him arrested, jailed, fined and on and on for theft of the RR property ( the old RR pieces).!! He was able to talk the police out of being arrested but was issued a summuns to appear in court.

Boy was he in trouble, hired a defense attorney and ended up just paying back what he had received for them and paid a fine to the RR company!

I'd pass on any such offered to me!!

DJ

14 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Back in the 80's in the Ca. Bay Area a General Contractor was building a new concrete tilt-up type building which I guess was on a older industrial plot that had a railroad spur track on the property which was removed, tracks,spikes, ties off to a side area.

Near the end on the job the Supervisor on site decided to sell the left over RR pieces as best he could, scrap etc. THEN the railroad police showed up and had called the local PD also.

They wanted him arrested, jailed, fined and on and on for theft of the RR property ( the old RR pieces).!! He was able to talk the police out of being arrested but was issued a summuns to appear in court.

Boy was he in trouble, hired a defense attorney and ended up just paying back what he had received for them and paid a fine to the RR company!

I'd pass on any such offered to me!!

DJ

One would think once the line is surrendered, the railroad loses all ownership since it was literally abandoned and salvage rights could be claimed?

The farm I grew up on had a line running thru it and danged if we didn't find spikes, plates and other sundry stuff laying around that got repurposed into other things.  We'd find stuff that had actually found it's way onto our land off the ROW, especially after the came through and repaired things.  Ties would roll down the embankment onto our field roads.

• Like 1

I guess the RR co. Had not abandoned the line in their mind. Just had not been used for some time.

The real problem was of the developers for never notifying the RR Co. to let them know of the change. I guess the General contractor was also at fault for never finding out any details about removing and what to do with the removed materials??

The Feds gave RR companies land and title to wide swaths of land on each side of a new RR line in exchange for building the lines at their expense.

The local RR co's. often here in Ca. would approach new developments with offer of free spurs to new buildings to create more usage for themselves but I guess somewhere in the agreement must have been a claim for all pieces used to build same forever??

I am not or claim to know law, especially in Ca. They change daily!  ?☹️

DJ

If the railroad wants their spikes they need to come and collect them. The township used old rail bed grindings on the gravel road my farm is on about 15 years ago..... I am still finding spikes in the road. I bet I have picked up a couple hundred of them at this point... most of them the first year or two. I gave a lot of them away, scrapped even more. I just picked up another one on Saturday.

I'm sure there's a dept in the railroad business they call "the junkyard"....its where you go when you are a PIA and no wants you in their dept.

You get to go out and make trouble over junk the RR doesn't want anymore.....someday those guys  might get  back into IT.....if they just didn't tick off Wendy, they just might  not be driving that 73 pinto,  "busting"  hot rodders and their clever tricks.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Haha 1

Over the years I've had several types of tie down hooks. I've found the following to be true, at least for me.

- Hooks too close to the bed rail cause problems when using ratchet tie downs especially for hauling motorcycles. They don't allow enough length to play out from the hook to the handlebars.

- Hooks or other cleats in the bed cause problems. They either won't let plywood lay flat, or are hidden and a hassle to hook on to.

- The best all-round hooks I've found are as on the pictures WC-1. They are 1/2 way down the bedside and seem to suit all situations well. Leave it to the military to specify a good all-round solution standard.

21487251-770-0@2X.jpg

• Thanks 1