Tie Down Hooks - Thoughts?

FlashBuddy

Are you using tie down hooks? I see many truck with the basic hardware store bought hooks screwed or bolted onto the truck bed. If I ever use Roxanne as a truck and haul a load that needs tieing down, I'll likely need something to tie off to. I'd like to do something a little more interesting that basic. Something with a clean classic and unobtrusive look to it. Thoughts? Pictures?

Tie Down Hooks.jpg

actually there are two options that would be decent..the stake pocket cleats that are put in and then tightened to squeeze the rubber into the pocket for a heck of a fit....and then the top rail for the bed side....some of these look very nice and well suited to the slab sided body

Dodge Central of Michigan sells similar types hooks like on Reg Evan’s truck. The only difference is that the hook part is bent at an angle not, straight like his. This type hook was used on numerous WWII military vehicles including the WC-12 I drive. Thy are not cheap though. Believe they want $20.00 per hook. They are very hard to find .. hence, the steep price. 

I've been looking at various styles of hooks like these for my truck with the exact intention of using them for tie downs for both a load and a possible "truck cap" idea that I have been mulling over to use as a small camper when traveling. I'm a long ways from building the camper/top, but I'm hoping to start in on the sheet metal soon.

Here are a couple of photos of the tie down Eye-bolts I have been using in my truck. These are good for heavy loads down in the bed and are actually through bolted into the frame. Keeps stuff from shifting around during transit and wont bend the bed sides. There are 4 of these on each side of my 3/4 ton truck bed.

Hth., Jeff

tiedown.1.jpg

tie-down.2.jpg

Edited by Jeff Balazs
  • Like 5

Jeff thanks for posting that. From your initial description my mind had them in place of the inward bolts that hold the bed to the frame. I was trying to picture how they weren't in the way!

58 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Jeff thanks for posting that. From your initial description my mind had them in place of the inward bolts that hold the bed to the frame. I was trying to picture how they weren't in the way!

Hi Ed;

Yes they are not in the way at all. Of course this is the wide bed...... but that is a 48" wide piece of plywood in the photos. I haul stuff all the time and this set up works well. To me the hooks on the outside of the bed that most folks seem to have are really only useful for tying down a tarp over a tall load. Like hay or boxes. Several times I have had well over a thousand pounds of hardwood lumber or the doors I make in the truck. With ratchet straps nothing ever moves around.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Hi Ed;

Yes they are not in the way at all. Of course this is the wide bed...... but that is a 48" wide piece of plywood in the photos. I haul stuff all the time and this set up works well. To me the hooks on the outside of the bed that most folks seem to have are really only useful for tying down a tarp over a tall load. Like hay or boxes. Several times I have had well over a thousand pounds of hardwood lumber or the doors I make in the truck. With ratchet straps nothing ever moves around.

Jeff

ya my 47 project the bed is only 48.5 wide so that wouldn't work so well for me

Jeff,

Those eye bolts wouldn’t actually be anchored to the frame. They look like they’d be anchored to the ends of the cross members,  3 of which are in turn anchored to the frame with the main bed bolts. 

I’m sure they are quite effective though. I’ve thought about doing something similar in my truck. Not that I haul much, but sometimes what I do have back here I dont’ want rolling around. 

Merle

15 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Jeff,

Those eye bolts wouldn’t actually be anchored to the frame. They look like they’d be anchored to the ends of the cross members,  3 of which are in turn anchored to the frame with the main bed bolts. 

I’m sure they are quite effective though. I’ve thought about doing something similar in my truck. Not that I haul much, but sometimes what I do have back here I dont’ want rolling around. 

Merle

Merle;

You are exactly correct. :) Might not work as well on the smaller beds but on our larger 3/4 ton or even the 1 ton beds it really does the job. Best part it is easily put back to original. I find I carry some sort of load pretty much weekly and so far it has handled everything I have thrown at it. These old trucks seem to be happiest when they are put to work.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks 48. If you look closely you will see two ropes (red) across the cover. I liked that because if an inside object extends too high I just raise the lid and tie down the lid with the ropes. It's interesting that some people comment on such a simple solution. Another advantage of keeping on old truck an old truck. It also allows me to use the side hooks

IMG_7274.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1