Tyre width

kd1975

Hi All,

my wheels are getting engineered this week to accommodate larger/wider tyres.

they will go from 6" to 8-8.5" and the fronts will remain the same.

i had thought about getting new wheels but I'm retaining the brakes as they are and new wheels would require a few mods that I'm not really interested in doing - and after a few drives the stopping power is more than enough as it currently sits.

im going for the street rod look. Does anyone have any opinions on what rear tyre is too wide? I'm thinking a 265/60/15

cheers 

I know you have problems in Sth Australia with modifications but its a bit less restrictive here in NSW......my 1941 Plymouth had one coil cut from the front end & 2" blocks on the rear springs, 195/75x15 and 235/75x15 Coker Classic radials with 15x6 and 15x7 Wheel vintique Chrome Smoothies, cleared the front & back fenders & inners no problem.....the 1940 Dodge has 14x6 and 15x10  mags, 205/65x14 and 275/65x 15 tyres, the rear fenders have been widened 2" and everything clears o/k now........lol..........I doubt if you'd get 265's under the rear guards without tubbing................andyd 

IMG_1355.JPG

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Not real familiar with the rear fender situation of the 54, but on my 46 I am running 5 inch wide 15's with a 3 1/2 back space, with 225 75 mounted.  They are tight.  I had some rear fender rub on turns, till I put new shocks and spring bushings on , still get a little with full gas and stuff in the trunk. More back space put the side walls into contact with the springs.  Some one here said they were running 15 inch police specials on their 53 but don't remember who or what size tire they were running but I believe it was suggested that 70 series were about the max that would fit.  I think it was said those wheels were 7 inches wide.

Today I mocked up my tires to see what kind of issues I would have and to determine the backspacing in rims. I used a spare tire rim from an explorer. It's steel 15x6 with 4" backspace. Tires are Coker h78-15. They are about a 225-75-15 close to that. The section width is

close to 9" wide. That being said I have about 3/4" between tire and the rod end. No issues with turning. At the rear it fit perfect with the stock rear, however I am installing an explorer 8.8 and will use a 1/4" spacer to keep it away from some flanges on the body. No other clearance issues and I can't move it too far out due to the fender skirts. Actually how the fit surprised me. I thought these tires were going to be too big but they fill up the wheel well nicely..just need to lower it now.