First restoration project

Krystalrain

Hea gearheads, I just picked up a whopper of a project and would like to get input from y’all about what to do first. I know that there are big decisions to make first like wether to restore back to factory and keep all original or to do what I want for improvements. I picked up a 1948 Dodge 4 door sedan custom and know it needs a lot of work. It is all original and has been sitting in a field for about 15 years. Any input or advice would be greatly appeared.

8E35B3A1-4917-41D5-8664-23C6476B7EB6.png

5B393776-1DE0-4FFB-B719-71B3AD3C6BA5.jpeg

CF686B48-4196-45C0-88C3-92B672D0802F.jpeg

6DB4F506-E8F8-486A-9648-D854BF730335.jpeg

7410D0E4-E947-434A-A755-6E4F4EA0642A.jpeg

Edited by Krystalrain
Photos

Nice looking car.  Looks to be nearly complete.  Would be a great restoration project.  California factory mid-year production, according to the serial number.

Edited by 46Ply
  • Thanks 1

That's a good looking car! That's the kind of car I would clean up, replace the interior and then drive. 

With a car that original, I'd have a hard time making too many modifications. 

I enjoy making things a little better while not overly modifying anything, especially cosmetically. 

Greg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 46Ply said:

Nice looking car.  Looks to be nearly complete.  Would be a great restoration project.  California factory mid-year production, according to the serial number.

Thanks 46Ply, I did some research already and did figure that much out, the owner sold it as a 47 delux. Nearly complete? The visor is in the back seat, original keys in glove box, and spare in the trunk. What am I missing? I am however missing the right side front fender Crome piece

Edited by Krystalrain

You can often turn it with the fan blades if the belt is good.   I would blow the dirt off the head and remove the plugs and put some light oil in each cylinder .

Put the plugs back in and leave it for a few days.  Then remove the plugs again and with a good battery in place , see if it will wind over.    The gas tank will need to be cleaned

but you can always rig up a temporary tank.    Look on line for Coldwarmotors.  He has lots of adventures getting derelict cars running and he seems to favour Chrysler's products of this era.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gregarious13 said:

That's a good looking car! That's the kind of car I would clean up, replace the interior and then drive. 

With a car that original, I'd have a hard time making too many modifications. 

I enjoy making things a little better while not overly modifying anything, especially cosmetically. 

Greg

I agree.

Please keep us updated as this looks like an interesting project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey congrats also on winston! Im fellow newbie who also recently found project. Posted some pics also few weeks ago. Before i got her home daughter had named her too! Yours looks in great shape and pretty complete. Same dilema here orig or hot rod??? Ive come to conclusion here shes staying orig, except maybe split exhaust... love the sound!. Also counting on the experts here when the time comes. Exciting day when you loaded her up and dragging it home :) take lots of pics, will follow the progress!

• Like 1

Yep,  I agree with most of the comments here so far.  You may have a daily driver before you know it.  Get the engine running,  give her about 4 barrels of elbow grease, and take her down the road!  

• Thanks 1

Be gentile if you use a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley, rock it back and forth add more oil and be patient.  Going around the whole car with some lube will prob really help things.  I have a boat gas tank I use on my old car, truck, Jeep projects for temp fuel source.  Be sure to strap it down and be careful with it.  

• Thanks 1

We live very close, & my restoration project is 3/4 done. If you want to stop in and check out my project, it's in Granite falls.

So you can get a grasp on what your in for, also check out my photos on my profile.

I'm a weekend only guy, with a family the project sometimes takes a backseat. I will be there this Sunday, it is at my brothers house. I live in a condo in Kirkland.

Welcome to the club!

Vince

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of my old F1 '52 Ford a few years ago.  Seat was so bad all that was left mostly was the springs.  My Mom found an old curtain and helped me fashion a seat cover.  We stuffed some rags and padding inside and put the home made cover on it and held it in place with hog rings.  About a 2 hour job.

I drove it that way for a year or so before I had it properly recovered.

• Like 1

I got the passenger side hood hinges soaking in WD-40 because it won’t open. The plugs are also soaking. Once I get the other hood open I’ll pull the plugs out and put the light oil in the cylinders. 

Yea all the upholstery is shot. aside from color matching, should I save any of it for  any reason?