air cleaner conversion

bluefoxamazone

Do not overlook that the original  filter was designed as part of the induction system ,  extending the column of air moving through the carburetor and tuned to reduce noise.

Oil bath filters can be messy but are pretty effective.  Even on my two carb setup I run two stock filters.  (the type used on dual carb trucks)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don, and Dpollo,

I’ve heard of people converting an original oil-bath air cleaner to a paper-element air cleaner. I have a couple of questions pertaining to that: 1) doesn’t the oil-bath air cleaner perform better job than a paper-element one? And 2) wouldn’t you have to cut up almost the entire interior of the oil-bath air cleaner to accomplish this? Thx.

In my opinion the oil bath is a better filter than a paper filter but I do not have any documentation proving that. It is simply my opinion. I am running dual paper filters on my dual carburetor setup pictured below only because the carburetors are spaced too close together and the oil bath cleaners would not fit.

P6230003.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

any ideas if this would work: (to get rid of that ugly looking stock air cleaner :-)  )

image.png.7c353ee5b56ccff9d826c6b191ed6e81.png

I am using the Spectre brand of this filter in basically same color as pictured on my 48 bz cp but also keep in mind that my induction system is relevant to a SMPFI V6 of 2004 vintage where stock would have suited me except to say that the stock air clearer is so huge of an air box that incorporating it into the build was just an over the top idea to begin with.  I used an intake tube from off the shelf to adapt the filter to my plenum and in doing so also adapter the emission return into the system as designed.  

Unfortunately I also believe in some respect that this is just a bit too modern for both the car and original engine, the engine if were newer, that style filter would be truly aesthetic..modification of the original would make a trouble free setup eliminating the messy oil, but for sure would be right at home under the hood and be way more correct looking.  When modified correctly, there is no way anyone can tell it was changed.

100_1700.jpg

I agree with all above mentioned statements. Ok, it is not original, it does look too modern.... is is efficient?.

Strange thing is that if I see what i find in an oilbath filter after a few 1000km's... a couple of flies and mosquito's, a bit of dust but the oil is fairly clean. I f I took out the K&N filter of my VW bug... this was another story.... The cleaning fluid I used to clean the element was black... (and also a few mosquito's   :-)

So what is science...? Should I try it. I do am worried that the noise will be a lot higher and I don't want that either...choices, choices....

take care, thanks for the input and keep them oldies running...

grtz,

I saw a Kia Sophia with one of those K&N filters on it once.

He said it ran better.

4 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Don, and Dpollo,

I’ve heard of people converting an original oil-bath air cleaner to a paper-element air cleaner. I have a couple of questions pertaining to that: 1) doesn’t the oil-bath air cleaner perform better job than a paper-element one? And 2) wouldn’t you have to cut up almost the entire interior of the oil-bath air cleaner to accomplish this? Thx.

bluefoxamazone, I really like the the way your convertible looks, it appears to be so stock and untouched - just my kind of car. The factory oil bath air cleaner isn't particularly beautiful, but form does follow function. I personally would keep the factory unit, or at least the factory look if I were running a single carburetor. Here are some pictures of a modified factory oil bath from my collection of stuff. Yes, the filter mesh was gutted, but when assembled it looks stock. Maybe the best of both worlds, maybe not. At least, it's easy to service.   

DSC08081.jpeg

DSC08083.jpeg

DSC08084.jpeg

Edited by rekbender
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rekbender said:

bluefoxamazone, I really like the the way your convertible looks, it appears to be so stock and untouched - just my kind of car. The factory oil bath air cleaner isn't particularly beautiful, but form does follow function. I personally would keep the factory unit, or at least the factory look if I were running a single carburetor. Here are some pictures of a modified factory oil bath from my collection of stuff. Yes, the filter mesh was gutted, but when assembled it looks stock. Maybe the best of both worlds, maybe not. At least, it's easy to service.   

DSC08081.jpeg

DSC08083.jpeg

DSC08084.jpeg

mmm, you have a point there.... this might be the inbetween solution altough it stays an ugly thing ;-)????

Do you remember what kind of paper filter fits in there because if I can't find a metric size that fits.... do you have to modify other things or has this already been discribed in other postings?

thanks an take care!!!

Franky

Here's a conversion I saw on an otherwise stock restored truck IMG_5919.JPG.bb9a009480ecac79ec435414ee1c5db5.JPGat a show last August - a pair of oil baths welded together for use on an Offy dual carb intake - the decals are a nice touch!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Love those old stock air cleaners! Well done.

4 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

... Do you remember what kind of paper filter fits in there ? ...

Take your prepared housing to the auto parts store and look for the boxes of filters that might fit . Try them out for size . Not all of the housings are the same size . 

18 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

mmm, you have a point there.... this might be the inbetween solution altough it stays an ugly thing ;-)????

Do you remember what kind of paper filter fits in there because if I can't find a metric size that fits.... do you have to modify other things or has this already been discribed in other postings?

thanks an take care!!!

Franky

Here are some different versions of the oil bath air cleaners. I think the one on the left is the best looking, most compact of the four. To answer your questions, the housing for the filter mesh must be removed from the lid, and then as Jerry Roberts said, take your aid cleaner top and bottom to a parts store and try different paper elements until you find one that will fit. I don't know the year of my modified air cleaner - probably late '40's or early '50's. The element in that one is a Purolator A14380. It looks like an air compressor filter.

DSC08085.jpeg

Untitled.png

On 1/13/2018 at 7:29 PM, RNR1957NYer said:

Here's a conversion I saw on an otherwise stock restored truck IMG_5919.JPG.bb9a009480ecac79ec435414ee1c5db5.JPGat a show last August - a pair of oil baths welded together for use on an Offy dual carb intake - the decals are a nice touch!

This is what i started doing today with my dual setup.  I hadnt seen anyone else do this.   And here i thought i had an original idea ....

You could almost tell people that this aircleaner was a special order nascar part.............lol.............methinks its a neat idea, especially with the decals......andyd

I found 2 old Crosley oil bath air cleaners, which look remarkably like the stock dual carb air cleaners from the B-Series Dodge trucks. I cut out the bottoms and welded in the Plymouth diameter bases from 2 junk air cleaner that I had lying around. They work great and keep the stock look.

IMG_1080.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1