door sill 49 Plymouth

Thomba48

I have done my research and could so far only identify door sills for my 49 in a price region others would buy an entire engine for :-)

Is this 450/ 500 plus shipping price point offering rally the only option on the market for a reproduction item?

I certainly hope not. :-(

Thomba, when you say "door sills" do you mean the stamped/decorative metal covers that screw onto the rockers?.........andyd

I actually mean the rubber ones - but the one on my car are cracking everywhere. So I would love to replace them with the original type, but not for 500 USD plus shipping. So maybe the alternative could be chromish metal covers. Yes so you are right.

Thanks Thomba, I wasn't aware that they were a molded rubber...........apologies if I've confused the issue............andyd 

• Haha 1

These rubber sill mats?  These are from a 52 Dodge thought.

Yes, reproduction is all I have see too. Luckily mine are in good shape. My friend and I have talked about trying to make a mold from these and attempting to cast new ones. It would probably fail miserably though.

Another thought is to fine a ribbed rubber mat and screw it to the sills

Greg

IMG_20171228_161939.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13

9 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

Coming back to the original question : do door sills have a sealing function as well? Should I go for a chrome plated route such a sealing function would not be provided anymore. 

I don't believe the sills offer any sealing function of the door, rather more of a windlace function. I see no adverse effects from installing a thinner metal version. I think an aluminun or stainless panel would be very nice. 

Anybody knows what later model door still plates would work from a dimensional point of view? Here is just one example of many available. It could look nice and would certainly be way less expensive:

https://moparplus.com/interior/door-sill-plates/

On 1/12/2018 at 12:11 PM, Thomba48 said:

I have done my research and could so far only identify door sills for my 49 in a price region others would buy an entire engine for :-)

Is this 450/ 500 plus shipping price point offering rally the only option on the market for a reproduction item?

I certainly hope not. :-(

Hallo Thromba48, Wie gehts? I have a spare set of 1951 Plymouth Suburban sill rubber in remarkably good condition-I bought a bunch of '51 parts off a person who was parting out his wagon a few years ago. Not sure if they would fit your '49- I've attached a picture. PM me if interested.

Danke,

Bob

sill rubber

When they are removed it leaves a lot of 1 in holes that have to be sealed. Just took my 51club apart and am looking for a pair myself