Boxing frame

doogan

I'm just curious about strength of the 1949 B1B frame.  In the event I decide to replace my engine, trans and rear end with a v8, 4 speed and some diff rear end, is the frame strong enough as it is or should it be boxed?   I'm just pondering the idea of a 318, 4 or 5 speed and an updated rear end.  I have an extra frame that I could experiment with.

The frames were allowed to flex to help with traction on crappy dirt roads while carrying heavy loads. If you look at the design of the gas tank and the mounting points to the rear, springs are used to keep the tank from flexing with the frame. If your truck spent any time on those rual roads (i.e. potholes, etc) the typical place these frames begin to crack is on the top past the rear of the cab. The frames I've braced, boxed, or repaired all had cracks that orginated from the contact points of the mid cross member. Its hard to inspect for those cracks without removing the cab or the bed. If you build a motor with a lot of low end torque, and you have a heavy foot (GUILTY) I would think one would want to add strength where needed. If its a fun truck with extra horsepower, you may find a healthy stock frame works just fine. IMO It wasn't the engine or torque that cracked the frames in the past, it was the heavy loads on low tech roads......

48D

Edited by 48Dodger

OK so would your opinion having done these updates, be go forward with them or use some other chassis setup such as S-10 or comparable frame?  Really just thinking of building one for higher highway speeds and A/C.  Not planning of changing my current B1B,  just having another to play with.

These old trucks (speaking of 48-53 PH trucks) were never tested the way today's vehicles have been tested for high/low speed impacts etc.

The moment someone starts playing with the geometry of any frame/engine design, they should ask themselves where their skills levels really are.

I say this just to remind any kid reading this, to remember to walk before you run. The other thing I usually say is find a build you like, one that is proven,

within one's skills, and build it. Having said that, I love being scared behind the wheel......which is why I race stock cars, land speed race, and on occasion drag race. Of course all done with a helmet, 5 pt seat belts, fire extinguishers, etc......

My first recommendation would be to choose a motor/trans combo you really want.....than study its torque abilities, gearing, and keep designing from there til you have a bigger picture of where it will land. Get on the search button and try to find a like minded person who already built what you invisioned, and study his impression of it. Its easier to redraw the layout, than to cut things up and discover you need to start all over.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger