1952 disc break conversion

1952gary

Started the disc break conversion on my 52 Dodge truck this week.  Having a problem removing the right side king pin.  Left side ok.  The BFH is not working so looks like a axle removal and off to the press.  I worked on the left spindle with drilling and tapping with no problems.  I pressed the bushings into the spindle and test fitted the king pin.  Too tight. What is the best way to ream the bushing?  

2 hours ago, 1952gary said:

....  I pressed the bushings into the spindle and test fitted the king pin.  Too tight. What is the best way to ream the bushing?  

I think that most of us just bring the parts into a machine shop and let them handle it . Others have been known to shop for the correct reamer and do the job themselves . After I had mine done I eventually  found a reamer at a good price so that I have it for next time . 

This is not the "best" way but a way none the less. I have had success with this procedure.

If the old king pin isn't to knackered up you can make a home brew reamer out of it. I did this on an Austin Healy I had. 

You grind a groove along the length of the king pin making your own flute. Once the Grove is ground down the middle, clearance one side so there is only one "cutting edge" 

Just measure the diameter of the old pin and make sure it's not too far from the diameter of the new pins

If the king pin is too worn out this won't work as the pin will already be undersized. 

I'll draw something up and post a picture when I get home. 

If your reusing the old pins, then nevermind.

Greg

IMG_20180110_190151.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13
  • Like 1