1946 - '48 Crown Imperial Limousine. Enlighten me please...

keithb7

Hey, I finally found a video of one running. I had to stop searching Crown Imperial, and just search Chrysler Limo.

It was for sale 5 years ago for $18K US.

At 1:07 the real magic begins:

https://youtu.be/sIkBoBlJBXM

And another. Oh my. A Windsor with a 6 but loonnnnggggg....

https://youtu.be/CJoiit9wxhk

Edited by keithb7

If you have the right gauge battery cables, wiring proper grounding and your starter is up to specs., a 6 volt system will spin an 8 cylinder just fine. Believe all straight 8 powered cars had 6 volt systems. Chrysler used 12 volts on some model cars from 53 to 55. In 1956 mopar used the 12 volt system in all it’s cars.

• Like 1

art    is what it is            that air flow   ,  wow   ,      gives me crazy inspiration  to stretch the 48 dodge    ,   not that I could do it .

makes me think about  ,      my 70 Newport custom , sitting over the hill, massive sheet metal hood  . , you could stuff 48 beer in front of the rad ,   chrome   stainless fender trim , marker lights .

long beautiful   brushed stainless flat trim  and   die cast grill ./  60s modern . loop bumper , 4 dr , hard top . the dash was better than the 71 where they went to plastic.

than the gooey rubber one on my 70,    no cracks   

yes most of the big Chrysler interiors sucked   , very tacky   ,   all the gold thread  and trim   , but that is what my uncle / buyers   wanted .   ruined a lot of cars  . I am a  sick man   , but something about   crank vent windows I long for , lost in 71

either it is the beautiful clean lines of the late 60s  early 70 s . challenger/ charger.   69 charger,   or 69 gtx   what more do   you want.

it don't get much better than that 

or the old curves and beautiful interiors.  of the old ones

the only thing that bugs me about the old  cars is all the horrible  things that happened , in the ww2 time frame .

just hard to take .   maybe not related    , but my brain does the association    

On 2018-01-09 at 4:12 PM, Dozerman51 said:

Is 1942 the only year up until the 1950’s that they come with a one piece windshield? I thought in 1942 all Mopar vehicles had 2 piece windshields. Guess you learn something new everyday.

The Custom Imperial Airflow Eight, model CW, body by LeBaron, curved  one-piece windshield was an automotive first   The CW was built in 1934 and 1935, with a handful for 1936 and two for 1937.  1936 and 1937 models were actually leftover 1935 cars.

The 1941and 1942 Crown Imperials had a one-piece, curved windshield.    The 1946-48 Crown Imperials, which used the same body as the 1941-42 models, with update front and rear ends, had a two piece, V windshield.

That 1942 Crown Imperial appears to be the one that was shown on the IOC's website as a 1945 model.   No Crown Imperials were built in 1945, and 1946 production did not begin until the summer of 1946. 

Wheelbase of the 1934-37 CW was 146½" while the 1941-1954 Crown Imperials were 145½".

• Thanks 1

I think a few of those Chryslers may have been used by funeral homes as a "family car" for funeral services. since they were so big and 

probably had some fold down jump seats.  I recall one mortuary in my Missouri home town in the 1950s having some model of a pretty

big ol' Chrysler in their fleet.                   

On 1/8/2018 at 7:46 PM, keithb7 said:

I can't say how, nor why. The 1946 to 1948 Crown Imperial Limousine has me smitten. What a car. Huge with a straight 8. The bonnet may actually consume more than 50% of the car length. LOL.

So few in number it seems. Luxury at it's best in the post war era. I have been doing research on line and am learning that there really seems to be very few of these cars to be seen. Let alone had. I found the Crown Imperial Group web site. There is lots of good information on there, however it appears to be losing momentum. Updates are old and far and few between it seems. Seeking out You-Tube videos is fruitless to date. I can't find one video of that straight 8 purring. Nor a walk around of the Limo. I learned that between 1946 to 1948 750 were made. I believe that included all Crown Imperials, not just the Limo. I would guess the actual number of Limos is much less. The Limo has hydraulic windows and the glass separator between driver and passengers. Maybe more?

Recently I have found 1 only for sale. In Norway. Its on Hemmings. They were asking $30K US. It was recently reduced to $25K. A little too rich for me. I'd sure like to own one though. Talk about classy..

Anyone here actually seen one in person? Sat in the back seat? Better yet, maybe someone here owned one? Tell us more about it. I'd like to hear all about it. Are these cars rare as hen's teeth? Early along here in my research, it appears so. Please share you encounters, if you've had the pleasure.

Here's the one in Norway:

60811320-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Page01-big.jpg

Yes, my friends own one.  It has the factory disc brakes too(Aircraft Design).  It can stop quicker than it can accelerate...  The Power Windows are Hydraulic too...  Neat car!