1946 - '48 Crown Imperial Limousine. Enlighten me please...

keithb7

I can't say how, nor why. The 1946 to 1948 Crown Imperial Limousine has me smitten. What a car. Huge with a straight 8. The bonnet may actually consume more than 50% of the car length. LOL.

So few in number it seems. Luxury at it's best in the post war era. I have been doing research on line and am learning that there really seems to be very few of these cars to be seen. Let alone had. I found the Crown Imperial Group web site. There is lots of good information on there, however it appears to be losing momentum. Updates are old and far and few between it seems. Seeking out You-Tube videos is fruitless to date. I can't find one video of that straight 8 purring. Nor a walk around of the Limo. I learned that between 1946 to 1948 750 were made. I believe that included all Crown Imperials, not just the Limo. I would guess the actual number of Limos is much less. The Limo has hydraulic windows and the glass separator between driver and passengers. Maybe more?

Recently I have found 1 only for sale. In Norway. Its on Hemmings. They were asking $30K US. It was recently reduced to $25K. A little too rich for me. I'd sure like to own one though. Talk about classy..

Anyone here actually seen one in person? Sat in the back seat? Better yet, maybe someone here owned one? Tell us more about it. I'd like to hear all about it. Are these cars rare as hen's teeth? Early along here in my research, it appears so. Please share you encounters, if you've had the pleasure.

Here's the one in Norway:

60811320-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Page01-big.jpg

Edited by keithb7

Yep....I could live with one..........lol..........the closest was 40yrs ago I owned a 48 Chrysler Windsor 4 dr sedan, rare here in Oz, basically the same as that Imperial less about 4 foot, 2 cylinders, some small crown badges and probably 1 ton.......lol...........yrs ago a mate had a 1938 Imperial Limo, 1 of 122, RHD, only one known of, window division, intercom, cigar lighters you could cook a meal over, full leather interior, rear seat that when you had your back against the seat your feet didn't touch the division........otherwise it didn't leave any impression on me...........so yep I could also join you in owning an Imperial, Crown or not...............if I win lotto I'll give you a call, o/k?............lol..............now I better go take my meds.....lol...........andyd   

• Like 1

Wow,  ive owned campers and lived in apartments with less sq footage then that thing has..  one thing is for sure!!  that isnt a cookie cutter car like you see on the road now....  and im betting it would be the only one in town

Hi Keith, this one is a 1950, not in the range you're looking for but at least you get a good walk around of it.  I'm sure there's many similarities.  :)

Also, this one has been FS on CL for quite some time...not a Chrysler, but my favorite: a Dodge! At least its a little bit of eye candy for you to look at anyway :P

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/1948-vintage-dodge-4-door/6417910259.html

Also, here's a 1950 straight 8 running nicely; not in a limo, but a straight 8 nonetheless.

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

Good vids Warden. Got me all worked up. Love it. 

Only car in town palmersparts? Only car in 5,000 miles maybe! 

Edited by keithb7

1949 Crown Imperials were the first to use the "Ausco-lambert four wheel disc brakes as did all the later 145" WB Crowns....  and also the 1950 Chrysler Town and country woodie.

Chrysler-disc-brake-Ausco.jpg

Ausco Lambert 1950 Chrysler T&C Disc Brakes (12).JPG

Ausco Lambert 1950 Chrysler T&C Disc Brakes (6).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dodgeb4ya .........wow.....thanks for that disc brake pic......I've seen reference made to these Chrysler disc brakes over the years but thats the clearest pic I've seen of them..manny thanks for that.........now all I have to do is win lotto & me and Keith will be happycampers.......lol.......regards from sweltering Oz.....its 102F inside at the moment....................andyd 

This wets one's appetite: http://www.imperialclub.com/IML-specific/Spotlight/Sept03/index.htm

http://www.imperialclub.com/Articles/48CarCollector/index.htm

Buying lottery tickets today!

Edited by keithb7

Donald....yep I could with some encouragement live with that 1942 imperial.............just marveling at the "smooth" styling to those 42 front sheet metal.........the oz government bought some 42 Chrysler Windsors for government use and I saw one back in the 1970's.......very impressive although not in the same league as the Imperials............andyd   

those are definitely not your everyday run of the mill Chryslers.....found this online.....

IF you can go by first number each year and go sequentially, 1946 = 166     1947=741    1948=493  The production numbers of all C40's ran together..

Note 1 - Crown Imperial Limousine production total for 1946 to 1948

Note 2 - Crown Imperial Sedan production total for 1947 to 1948

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

An even bigger rarer Imperial..

A 1935 Chrysler CW Imperial Custom Airflow LeBaron Limousine with the 385 ci eight.... first use of the one piece windshield

1935 CW Airflow Finished (7).JPG

CW Finished Interior Door trim (16).JPG

1935 CW Airflow Finished (2).JPG

CW Nearly Finished (6).JPG

• Like 4

Thanks for the Pic’s and the Info on the one piece windshields. Did the one piece windshield crank out like on the smaller Airflows? That straight 8 looks as good if not better than any competitor’s motor of the same time period IMHO. Just absolutely beautiful. 

There is no crank out one piece windshield.on this CW.

This 385 CI engine is whisper quiet and very smooth and powerful with OD.

The car weighs well over 6000lbs.

• Like 1

Dpollo......re your idea to live in an Imperial limo......the 1938 Limo I mentioned in my original post on this thread that  mate had was apparently used by the State Governor of the Oz State of Queensland........however it fell on hard times apparently in the 1950's and at one stage it was found in the Queensland bush being used by some local indigenous people as a makeshift "home"........it then went to a wrecking yard and was pictured in a "Vintage Tin" feature in an Oz hot rod magazine, Custom Rodder in the early 1970's where it was seen by my mate who had just restored a 1934 Dr 7 Passenger Dodge and was looking for something to keep himself occupied.........he sold it 1/2 restored but it was finally restored about 10-12 yrs ago and has been featured in various Oz magazines..............and yep........it was big enough to live in............lol.....................andyd    

Back in 83 my mom was taking a flight from LAX to DC and needed a ride to the airport. A friend of mine who had a 48 limo was nice enough to not only drive but wore the suit and chauffeurs hat and gave her and I the full treatment. The car ran and rode perfectly until we left the airport, then we got stuck a couple hours while it had an overheating tantrum,. Was a fine car though.

3 hours ago, thedahmer said:

I used to own one.. what questions do u have?

Did you have the limo or the standard Imperial?  What year did you have? Straight 8 or 6 cylinder? Do you have any pics on line that you'd be ok sharing here?

Did you use it for personal use only? Or was it available for hire as a Limo for weddings? Graduations? Etc...

I'd enjoy hearing any interesting stories about driving it and trying to park it. Or going through a drive through? 

I have read a few comments about the straight 8. How smooth and quiet it runs. That at a stop light its hard to tell its running. Was the straight 8 using a 6V electrical system and starter?

My limited understanding is with the 8 cylinder and the 6V starter, you only got a few slow engine spins. If it did not want to start, your battery was drained in short order.

I suspect keeping the engine in good tuned condition was imperative. Fair comment?

Edited by keithb7