drain rear axle

porters

6 minutes ago, porters said:

Hi, I just tried to change the fluid in my 48 rear axle. It looks like the front and rear plugs are on the same level. where do I drain and where do I refill? Thanks, Mike

There is no plug flush with the bottom of the rear? There should be one that with a flat surface and a recessed area the right side to take the nose of a 3/8th ratchet or breaker bar.

I'm not familiar with that axle but if it's a third member, and has no rear pan or drain plug then you may have to remove the third member to drain the fluid. This is how it was on some Ford 8" rear ends. 

Another option is to drill the bottom of the housing and then thread for a pipe plug. I had to do this on an 8" rear but had it apart for rebuild so it wasn't messy like this will be. 

Greg

3 hours ago, porters said:

Hi, I just tried to change the fluid in my 48 rear axle. It looks like the front and rear plugs are on the same level. where do I drain and where do I refill? Thanks, Mike

Someone has made up your rear end from two different rear ends so you ended up with two fill plugs . I wonder if you can drain the oil with a suction gun . 

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

most of time the rearends were drains with a suction type devise to remove all of the old oil.

rich Hartung

Well,it will remove MOST of the old oil,but none of the grit or shavings.

If he can't find a drain plug on the bottom,IMHO he needs to create on by using the suction gun to remove as much old oil as he can,and then drilling a drain hole in the bottom to let the rest drain out. He can then drill it out to the correct size to tap it for a plug,and not have to worry about this stuff again.

Once he gets it drained he can use something like kerosene to pour through the top and drain out the bottom to flush out any shavings or grit. He can even pressurize it with air to blow it out.

I hate messing with rear ends or old manual trannies. Old gear lube has to be some of the most stinking stuff there is.

I have encountered several ways to drain the rear axle    When bolts are used,  (37 maybe all pre war)  remove the lowest one.

Many in the 49 to 56 era have a pipe plug with a recessed  square  socket for removal

but it is not right at the bottom !

I have seen some with an allan head plug facing forward but I suspect these were added later by drilling the casting

Until 1948, fill plugs were in the housing facing the rear.  49 and up had the plug on the side of the gear carrier.    The date and ratio can often be found on a flat section of the carrier.

Hand stamped and hard to read.

Why not just suction the oil out with a suction gun or go to a lube and oil place and let them do it.

Simple.

Rear end (Diff) has been changed out.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, knuckleharley said:

Well,it will remove MOST of the old oil,but none of the grit or shavings.

If he can't find a drain plug on the bottom,IMHO he needs to create on by using the suction gun to remove as much old oil as he can,and then drilling a drain hole in the bottom to let the rest drain out. He can then drill it out to the correct size to tap it for a plug,and not have to worry about this stuff again.

Once he gets it drained he can use something like kerosene to pour through the top and drain out the bottom to flush out any shavings or grit. He can even pressurize it with air to blow it out.

I hate messing with rear ends or old manual trannies. Old gear lube has to be some of the most stinking stuff there is.

Nope. What smells worse than that is when you drop the main caps on a diesel engine like cat Detroit or a Cummins..especially if it's got better than a million miles on it.. makes the shop stink for 4 or 5 days.

7 hours ago, 48hoopty said:

Nope. What smells worse than that is when you drop the main caps on a diesel engine like cat Detroit or a Cummins..especially if it's got better than a million miles on it.. makes the shop stink for 4 or 5 days.

In that case I am grateful my only experience with diesels is driving them in my pickups.

If there is any serious gunt or metal shavings you need to do more than drain and change fluids.