HELP!!! Rebuilding Steering Gear

kansascoronetguy

Hello All I am starting to rebuild my steering box from my 50 Coronet and I cannot find any shims, gaskets, or worm drive bearings... does anyone have any cross reference part numbers or where i can find them without having to pay more than just replacing it with a rack and pinion set

Zeke...I assume you mean the upper & lower worm bearings?........check if they have any numbers on them and can be cross referenced by a bearing shop........the pitman shaft uses bushes that a competent machine shop can make out of oillite bushing material, the lower leather seal should be replaced by a neoprene version that a bearing shop should be able to mike up from the housing ID and pitman shaft OD.............I've seen these bearings listed on US ebay over the years, not sure of the coverage but I'd be checking in a parts book whether these bearings etc were a standard size for a number of years............dunno if this helps.........regards, andyd   

• Thanks 1

I see now, after looking at my repair manual that the steering gear is not of the recirculating ball type. So my suggestion for bearings will not work. The shims are just for setting up the worm bearing preload. I think you can make them out of any thin stock. I would listen to Andydodge personally. 

Greg

Edited by Gregarious13

Greg......I wouldn't listen too closely to me sometimes.............lol............seriously tho' just did a US ebay search under " mopar steering box" and there is a pair of 40-54 Plymouth & Dodge steering box repo Isolator rubber pads.......these go bewteen the box & chassis and outside the chassis and are notorious for becoming soft & spongy allowing the steering box to move on the chassis and I know that when I replaced the pair on the 41 Plymouth I had it made a huge difference to the steering response............theres also some shims advertised as well.........and under "plymouth steering box" there are 2 listings for rebuild kits that include the 2 bearings, 2 races, 2 bushes & 1 seal...they state Plymouth but I think the Dodge & Plymouth use the same steering box 1940-54, tho' not certain....................andyd 

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1