Explorer rear end

jeff the jerk

Hey I'm sure this topic is been gone over a million times but in my search I couldn't find the information I was looking for 

I know s 10 guys are shortening these rears to 56 5/8 now I have the chance to pick one up for a 6 pack of beer with a  373 and lsd 

has anyone done this to a 41 ploge 

And how much back spacing did you have on the rim 

I don't know the year of your car. Mine is a 48. Wms to wms is 60" on the rear axle. I got a limited slip disc 3.55 gear disc brake 8.8 for 50 bucks off Craigslist in Vegas. Wms to wms is 59.5" only thing need to do is mount spring perches at correct location..the master cylinder is another issue. 

23 hours ago, jeff the jerk said:

I should have stated that s 10 guys are shortening the explorer rear to 56 and 5/8 

I want to run a deep dish rim but that might be 2 much 

In that case,  the Ranger rear may be a better fit for your wheels..

I had to add 1inch or so, spacers to get my  235/75-15  "police wheels" out where I wanted them.

A word of caution... the Ranger axles are smaller 28 spline and the Explorer are 31 spline. There is an exception if you can find an FX4 Ranger that will have the 31 spline axles. Secondly, not sure if any of the 28 spline Rangers came with disc brakes. Explorer 8.8's from 95 up had discs.

Probably not an issue with a flathead, but for the V8 guys, the 31 spline is the way to go.

Edited by 59bisquik

IRC the Explorer rears are offset to the passenger side, meaning two different axle tube lengths. I'm pretty sure a common way to shorten them is to get a second rear and replace the long axle tube with another short one from the second rear. The tubes are just plug welded into the center housing. This also centers the housing. Offhand I forget the specific width shorted and not. I have one I plan on putting in a 50 Desoto using the original length and offset. Way back when I measured for it, it was only a fraction of an inch shorter than the original Mopar rear on both sides. One reason I'm using as is is because of the close match to the original length and the 383 Mopar BB I'm putting in the car is offset to the passenger side as well. Any google search about Explorer axles will provide much more detail on length and shortening methods.   Also as mentioned above the big deal with the Explorer rears is the 31 spline axle vs. 28.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is a 41 ploge or d20 Plymouth rebadged for Canada as dodge wms to wms is 60" I am looking at using the explorer 8.8 but for the look I'm after it's to big 

If I shorten the long side to the same length of the short side the rear Will be 56-5/8 as per ranger station and u tube videos I have seen has anyone put a rear end that small 

I think all rears and frame are the same from 40-49 

The rims I want to run are like these

Screenshot_2015-12-16-20-49-21.png

Edited by jeff the jerk