1949 detective needed to identify two items

Thomba48

Please bear with me - I just started the work on my new 1949 Plymouth - and hence the occasional questions do pop up. I sincerely hope that I shall not overstretch all your patience with that.

Today to matters came up :

a.  A loose cable from the heater fan I believe. I have checked everything near by but not detect anything where this might be missing or should be attached?

b. Certainly less important - a cardboard thingy happens to lie around inside the car. Any idea if this has a role to play or was simply something the previous owner added for his own liking?

Final hint - any idea how I can take out the tank grommet with destroying both the paint job and the grommet itself. It is stuck as hell - and yes, not necessarily the newest type also.

20180108_141607.jpg

20180108_143411.jpg

20180108_143418.jpg

the cable is the ground for the motor. the card board thingy appears to be what is left of the diverter from the heater. on my 51 it is above the transmission hump. diverts the heater air to the left and right 

• Like 1

It looks in the photo of the heater blower motor that the fastening points have rubber grommets to prevent any vibration noise when running. If this is the case then the ground wire is needed. It sounds like you have two fine cars there. Good luck.

John R

4 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

Final hint - any idea how I can take out the tank grommet with destroying both the paint job and the grommet itself. It is stuck as hell - and yes, not necessarily the newest type also.

Need to make the rubber slippery, so I'd try first soapy water and if that does not work then penetrating oil like Kroil or WD40. Most likely will need penetrating oil which should not hurt the paint.