dash control removal tool

37silverstreak

Hey guys,

I'm trying to remove the heater switch from the panel cluster on my 48 Plymouth. I thought I saw a picture of the tool on here somewhere but can't find it. Does anyone know if this tool is available anywhere or what can I use to remove the escutcheon with out damaging the finish? Thanks!

Kevin

Is it the tool that was made from a stubby screwdriver where the center is cut so to allow the shaft to slip into and the prongs that is now the blade to engage the slot or the one made of the deep well socket with the sides cutaway thereby making prongs for the nut?

I made mine from a stubby screwdriver...fast easy and effective....of course if you wish to destroy a socket it also is rather easy to make

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Is it the tool that was made from a stubby screwdriver where the center is cut so to allow the shaft to slip into and the prongs that is now the blade to engage the slot or the one made of the deep well socket with the sides cutaway thereby making prongs for the nut?

I made mine from a stubby screwdriver...fast easy and effective....of course if you wish to destroy a socket it also is rather easy to make

The tool I remember seeing was more like a hollow tube with two prongs on the end that fit into the slots on the retainer, but your idea will work. I'll see what I can come up with, thanks!

Kevin

the tube may or may not have the tensile strength to do the work and is why the tool steel that is the screwdriver and or the socket comes into play...either one if properly cut will serve you well......take you time....but do make sure the material you intend to use is up to the task...