Is this repairable?

Kiwicranbrook

32 minutes ago, Kiwicranbrook said:

IMG_20180107_091135813~2.jpg

About the best you can hope for is to try to use epoxy to glue it back together,and then sand and paint it with "chrome" paint. Not really a fix,but maybe a temporary solution until you can find a nice one?

After thinking it over for a few minutes,I decided to suggest you clean the area where the break is very good,maybe even using alcohol. Then consider using a thin cutting wheel like a Dremel cutting tool cutoff wheel to score/cut a line from one side of the break to the other on both sides,and then set something like thin welding rods in the "notches" you just cut for reinforcement. Make sure you cut them deep enough and that you the bent tthe welding rod to fit the angles,and that it has room under it and over it for the epoxy to completely surround it for strength. Let it sit for the recommended length of time and maybe even a little longer to be sure,and then sand down the excess and paint it.

BTW,you can add multiple cut-off wheels to the mandrel to make the cut as thin or thick as you need it to be.

If you use the steel pins with a good quality epoxy,it should be as strong as new. Maybe even stronger.

If you don;t use the pins and embed them with epoxy,it's just a temporary repair.

Edited by knuckleharley

Why not just find one? Not too terribly hard to come by on the internet ....repairable IMO... no.

Just found two...here's one

1325170 HORN RING 51-52 PLY/DOD $75.00   1371363
Edited by Dodgeb4ya

5 minutes ago, Kiwicranbrook said:

Thanks guys will give the epoxy a go. Will try and reinforce from behind. Next question maybe even dumber, how does it come off? Is it screwed on from behind?

I have no personal experience with that one,but most come off by pushing them all the way down and then twisting. Don't lose the spring that holds it up when you remove it.

31 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Why not just find one? Not too terribly hard to come by on the internet ....repairable IMO... no.

Just found two...here's one

1325170 HORN RING 51-52 PLY/DOD $75.00   1371363

Problem is I'm in New Zealand so pretty rare over here. I have seen there's a few on eBay but I have never tried to buy anything off there

Well there you go... fixed the right way!

51-53 are the same.

51 to 3 are the same but different from 49 to 52   but then NZ may have been using left over parts.  The 51-3 is held on by three insulated screws under the centre ornament.

The 49 and 50 is held down by a cast retainer which comes off with three screws after the cap is pulled

The 51 to 3 , the centre ornament is depressed and rotated with two thumbs. it can then be teased out if the hole.

Given the cost of shipping, you had better get this right. Your picture shows a 51 to 3

• Like 1

Here is that ring NOS and what the horn medallion looks like.....

Horn ring 1951-52 P23 some P24 (2).JPG

Horn ring 1951-52 P23 some P24 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Yep, I'm going to modify the one I have to fit the centre over the new one. Should look ok. I'm going to pull the steering wheel off and give it a respray while I'm at it. 

Any advice for pulling the wheel? Is it just a matter of undoing the nut in the centre and giving it a yank?