Tail Light - What is This?

On my 1950 B2B the tail light wires come through what looks like a rubber hose. What? Why? Check out the ancient twist connector. It fell apart when I unwrapped the tape. Plastic tape BTW.

See the corroded wires inside tells me it has to come off.

20180106_102841-1260x1890.jpg

there is a connector on the frame before the taillights, it is a hard plastic (maybe bakelite) using barrel connectors on the wires. The rubber hose has been added, there are clips that hold the wiring to the frame maybe they broke off and the hose was anti-chaffing? but with a PO its just a guess.

tail.PNG

• Thanks 1

I think @bach4660 has it right. After taking off three layers of black plastic tape, I found another rubber hosehose section. This one was green like a garden hose. I managed to peel it back to the original cloth wires which aren't in great shape but will have to do for now. I was able to solder them cleanly to the new tail light wires and wrap it all up with some new cloth tape.

Crazy farmers eh?

11 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

Crazy farmers eh?

They say, poor people have poor ways  :D

I have been doing some repairs on my original cloth wiring by wrapping the bare sections with thread and then covering with nail polish to glue it down. I have used it on my heater and also the ground wire in the distributor. Then the last few inches on the generator. yeah yeah yeah, I know, it needs to be replaced, but most of it is in pretty good shape and useable.

Am parting out a 52 plymouth suburban, the cloth wire above the headliner, going from the dash to rear dome light is like brand new, I am saving that as if I found a pile of gold.

• Like 1

I hear you @Los_Control. Purchased a set of new wires for Roxanne but never put them in. I saw a spool of cloth covered ignition wire and it looked so sexy. I'll want to buy a few feet and make a replacement ignition wire set. Should be fun.

Roxanne has been getting out and about town, but now is stuck until I figure out why my speedo quit. After pulling the speedometer out of the dash and jacking up the rear, putting her in gear I can see the cable is not turning. Likely I'll try to clean up the tranny side and detach the cable before ordering a replacement from Napa (about ten bucks).

5a552821a0a95_IMG_5218(1).jpg.abcdc1ed727a7217ca7e35a153edbfa1.jpgFound this in Speedway catalog but could go to NAPA and probably buy it by the foot for a buck. Rubber grommet or hose just as good. I ripped the back of my sheet metal stake pockets when bumping into my lights one too many times so I relocated them to my bumper and tucked them in. I also got tired of people telling me I had a taillight out so I splurged on some l.e.d.s in stainless buckets and run my wires below the intended hole in the bed. 

IMG_5221.jpg

• Like 1