Notches in Pan Gasket?

Oberstar

The notches fit around the ridges (red arrows) on the rear main bearing cap and the aluminum oil pan plate in front of the front main bearing cap. Adhere the gasket to the block and the cork strips to the pan front and rear retainers. Be sure to leave about 1/8" of the cork strips extending past to bottom pan to insure a tight fit at these corners. Put a dab of silicone on each of the notches before you install the pan.

DSC07292.jpg

• Like 1

in the process of putting a gasket in mine, have not started,  good thing           the o rings in the kit were  a surprise .

and no real directions with them

looks like the o ring pieces go under the front retainer.

I assume you have to remove the left end cap in picture , to put in the 1 .125  inch  o ring pieces in .

I think I can see a bit of o ring  a 1/4 - 1/2  inch  left of the left arrow in picture,       on my motor.

and I had not noticed the notches yet ,,   so thanks.

looks like 3 bolts and 2 flat head screws to get that     alm.   oil pan plate off.

do you use silicone blue  or a sticky black gasket goo to hold the gasket on the block.

I was going to stick everything to he pan  and try and put it in,  maybe not.

another thing , I had just thrown the pan back on waiting for the gasket to come. to keep dirt out  .  and it was not that much fun.

either the front counter weight .   which   was in the down positon ,   could be the problem  .  

or there is a bolt that comes thru the front cover, that seems to be in the way,

think I will remove it , and reinstall after the pan.

one more thing , while the rest of my  motor looks great,  

that end cap thing looks like it has been to hell and back .

badly corroded.   not like the one in the picture

Edited by neil and ethan
wrong length

19 hours ago, Oberstar said:

Hmmmm- only one notch per cork gasket strip, though.  Might just make sure that the notches go to the rear main..

If you look at the pan rail gasket on the top in your picture you’ll see an offset. That gasket only fits one way to line up with bolt holes. Whaerever your notch ends up install the other gasket in the same direction

I guess I did not notice any notches in mine  ( felpro )  because there were none. maybe Canadian motor is different

had to trim all ,   put o ring in groove in cap  , and some silicone .     hope for the best.

2 hours ago, neil and ethan said:

I guess I did not notice any notches in mine  ( felpro )  because there were none. maybe Canadian motor is different

had to trim all ,   put o ring in groove in cap  , and some silicone .     hope for the best.

What did you trim,

Yeah, I'm making this out to be harder than what it really is!  The notched gasket set is actually from Fel-Pro.  And Don, I've read your instructions on another thread as well, so its time just to get it done!  For now, I'm planning on using grease only for the end seals, and Permatex Aviation Sealant for gasket to pan adhesion.  Not sure if my 1946 motor uses the rubber rings on the main cap, but I'll check it out...

that pick is how I trimmed mine. the side pieces had to be cut ,  to get bolt holes to line up       right or wrong , i trimmed the end  to 1/8 above the sides.

the only instructions in box were about the o ring pieces 

No trimming is required or advised, when the pan is tightened everything slides into place creating a leak free seal. The end pieces float are left long to allow them to slide and fit tightly into the radius of the oil pan as it tightened down. If the end pieces are cut they won’t wedge themselves and seal properly and most likely leak oil. 

Edited by Branded
  • Like 2

Well, pain may be my best Instructor!  I chose to do this motor the hard way, by having the entire motor/tranny supported by my shop crane.  I'm in the process of degreasing, and shot the first coat of primer yesterday.

Anyway, I overlapped the front main as you should, but did cut the rear small tabs to be able to fit flush against the end of the pan.  I then used spray glue to glue the cork gasket down to the pan, and Permatex 2 dabbed in each of the gasket corners.  Grease was the only item used on the end gasket pieces.  I may have made a mistake by not using any Permatex on the long gaskets, but we'll see how she acts.

This site has always been fantastic about guidance on these flatheads, but the experience of screwing something up and re-doing it stays with me longer...

Saved.jpg