Oil filter

Thomba48

I need to purchase an oil filter cannister and found this offering on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-1960-CHRYSLER-DESOTO-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-MOPAR-6-CYL-OIL-FILTER-CANISTER-BF-300/162804398371?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 Seems to work for my 1949 Plymouth.

What is your opinion?

It seems to be using the br-3 refill cartridges. I couldn't find any worldwide. Any idea what they are?

The only cross reference I could find for a BR-3 was at Wix, and it shows it as a Bowser Briggs filter, which crosses to the Wix 57290. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1725806

It does show Dodge trucks (57-61) in the application list. It may be what you would need.

23 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

The only cross reference I could find for a BR-3 was at Wix, and it shows it as a Bowser Briggs filter, which crosses to the Wix 57290. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1725806

It does show Dodge trucks (57-61) in the application list. It may be what you would need.

Thanks - where did you get this cross reference information from? Thom

For a good used oil filter for Mopar flat 6's check this out. $35 for the filter housing and brackets, $12 for the filter elements.

Vintage_Power_Wagons_Parts_Catalog-Group_01_Engine.pdf - Google Drive.html

3 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

For a good used oil filter for Mopar flat 6's check this out. $35 for the filter housing and brackets, $12 for the filter elements.

Vintage_Power_Wagons_Parts_Catalog-Group_01_Engine.pdf - Google Drive.html

That is very kind of you - I actually can not open your link

Sorry I was having issues for some reason for getting the link on the forum reply but I Thought I had figured it out.

Search- vintagepowerwagon.com ,  then go to online catalog-then to engine parts---the filters  are on page one under that heading I believe.

Sorry bout that,

Good luck with the quest!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
correct address

Hallo Thom,

unfortunately I do not have a cross reference filter No. for you, I do have another filter size. But had the same problem which was pretty easy to solve.

The Baldwin filter element which was inside is no longer available.

The only cross reference element what I found has been expensive due to shipping and customs fee to Germany ( you know ...) and additionally did not have the same dimensions.

Took the Baldwin element to an auto supplies shop just around the corner. These shops usually have professional cross reference data bases. With the number on it and the dimensions (height, outer diam., inner diam.) it has been an easy thing for them to find 3 different filter elements. 2 surprisingly have been in their store (Mann filter and Mahle) !

Perfect fit, each about 10€. Couldn`t believe to get such a thing that easy in Germany !

Maybe worth an attempt ?

Jan