Damper needed

Thomba48

Just to be on the safe side. The attached pictures is showing the part described as damper (I know that sounds patronising, but is not supposed to be. it is merely the attempt to get my language right). Now this round part is in my case almost unusable - rusty, full of rubber etc. So you are saying that I do not need this part.

Following on from that the next stupid question: What will I have to put in place instead?

20180105_210109.jpg.efdc3561a0feb6666caccf372bf86c7b.jpg

This known as a vibration dampener. and also has the timing marks on the flat part of the dampener.  My 1939 Desoto long block engine has one of these on my car and has the original S^ engine so yes they did you vibration dampeners.

According to my 1937 - 51 Mopar parts catalog the Plymouth from 1942 -1950 used a vibration dampener and pully and the part number is 869431  dodge also used this same dampener from 1937-50, desoto used the same dampener from  1938-42,

rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

If I see this correctly - have not taken the engine apart - the pulley bolts up to the damper on the crank. So there are two parts to it. I will actually only need the pulley in this case. Thanks

58 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

If I see this correctly - have not taken the engine apart - the pulley bolts up to the damper on the crank. So there are two parts to it. I will actually only need the pulley in this case. Thanks

The vibration dampener and pulley are one complete unit.

rich Hartung

Many Plymouths used only a pulley.   They run just fine.

There is a repair service for the dampers.  I think he calls himself Damper Doctor.

so if the flat head engine was basically the same for the 25 inch block and the 23 inch block then why do some of the engines have the vibration dampener and others do not? I have one on my 39 desoto which has the 25 inch block.  I was told that the vibration dampener was used to smooth out the engine and get rid of the vibrations. can anyone answer this question.

Rich Hartung

3 hours ago, dpollo said:

Many Plymouths used only a pulley.   They run just fine.

There is a repair service for the dampers.  I think he calls himself Damper Doctor.

I have used Damper Doctor twice in the past and will say he does fine work.  If indeed you have (or need) a two piece damper where the center hub is joined to the outer portion of the damper by a rubber vibration dampening compound and you want an original remanufactured I can heartily recommend his product.  

OK - this is strange I know. I won't be able to take the part out before end of next week. At the same time I need to get the search, order process running for the part to eventually be in Germany etc. etc.

Isn't this in theory what I need? In theory this exact one is for a 1950 plus Chrysler, but the seller indicated he would be able to provide the exact item appropriate for a 1949 set-up? Thanks for leading a currently blind person :-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-51-52-53-54-Chrysler-DeSoto-Dodge-NOS-MoPar-PULLEY/400216006514?epid=1829942549&hash=item5d2ebb9f72:m:m3jVGHQnfqbDt4Xzzts9RMA&vxp=mtr

25 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

so if the flat head engine was basically the same for the 25 inch block and the 23 inch block then why do some of the engines have the vibration dampener and others do not? I have one on my 39 desoto which has the 25 inch block.  I was told that the vibration dampener was used to smooth out the engine and get rid of the vibrations. can anyone answer this question.

Rich Hartung

Rich , We had a discussion on this topic a few years ago . If I remember correctly , the general opinion was that the more expensive cars had a vibration damper . 

Thomba..........you need to be sure regarding exactly WHAT part you need........that ebay link shows just the pulley for sale but also has a link showing the crank hub which the pulley bolts onto............BUT your original question and reference to a pic from a Chrysler shop manual shows a Vibration Dampener which also has the Pulley attached to it.........so what exactly does your car have?....................andyd 

As usual you are all absolutely right - I need to unfortunately take the part out first and then come back to you all again. Anything else really does not make a lot of sense. Sorry guys for dragging you along on my foggy road :-)

A friend of mine (now deceased) worked for Chrysler as a mechanic back when our cars were new.    Generally, Canadian Plymouths did not have dampeners but if a new Plymouth came back with concerns about a grumbly engine, they would install a dampener from a Desoto or Chrysler.  Problem solved.   My own 50 Plymouth, an American car has never had a dampener.

Runs really nicely.

I have occasionally found that the outer ring of a dampener will move around and render the timing marks useless.