Sub Zero Challenge

55 Fargo

Okay guys, bored, or have the "winter blahs", well here is your challenge, weather and salty road conditions permitted...

Whether your in California or Georgia, Minnesota or Indiana, I encourage you to stop moping now that Christmas and New Years is over.

Go fire up that Old Plymouth, Dodge or Pickup truck, and go for a cold weather cruise.... PS this is not for the faint of heart, some might need long johns and a hot water bottle too, no excuses will be taken....

7 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat if our roads weren't plastered with salt and sand.  And they just spread a fresh batch this morning after a dusting of snow.:(

I don't blame you, my road and the highway are one dry and frozen, so doable. Going into town or to Winnipeg different story though, but it's darn cold....

• Like 1

This is my excuse not to risk it. My drive drops 75 feet, 90 degree turn 1/3 of the way down to a T juction. Solid ice at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/winnie.harrell/videos/10213056797708547/

https://www.facebook.com/winnie.harrell/videos/10213061165457738/

Still trying to keep the paint job on the WC -12 looking like new. It’s only a year and 4 months old. It’s about 60 degrees and finally raining out here on the left coast of California. With my WWII 2 motor Tropic-Aire heater along with the Tropic-Aire defroster motor and all the ductwork,  I’m fairly certain that I could weather any type of cold as long as the IND-7 keeps turning and the gas keeps burning. Now those vacuum wipers, well that’s a whole horse of a different color. LOL.

• Like 1

Well, I hate to post this but yesterday it was -10 here in sunny Ks. A month ago when it was in the  60's I made an appointment to have some work done on the "beached whale". Rather than cancel I said what the H..... and went out to see if the ole girl would start. The old 6v struggled a bit but on the 3rd try it caught and ran fine. 

With a spring in my step I went back to the house to let it warm up good before hitting the road. Looked out and saw a lot of steam coming from the front of the car. Yep, rad must have froze up. I'm pretty careful about maintenance on my stuff so this was kind of a puzzle. The only thing I can figure is I used premixed antifreeze this summer when I changed the thermostat. Evidently it didn't give enough protection with what was in the system.  Should have tested it. Stupid is is stupid does. Bad end to a good start.

I had mine out for a drive today after several weeks of being in the garage.  Sunny skies & clear roads.  Temp was about 32 deg F

after several nights of lows in the single digits.  No problems starting and the heater & blower motor works great.  Running a 180 deg F

thermostat.

I hate to do this but our high today was 73, 75 for tomorrow then into the 60's next week. This is much too warm for fruit trees which need cold weather to drive the sap down so it will come back up strong in early March with a good bloom. 

Glad to see you out and about with your Fargo, the roads here are white with salt and calcium chloride with a possible 4-5 inches more snow today, Growing up on the NY-Quebec border, the roads were treated as they are today and I would have the old girl out to get her some exercise.  I did have her out Christmas Eve for a jaunt.   I haven't yet figured out how to delete photos so I can post some recent photos.   Go get Fred, I love that truck and Happy New Year

Here in central California temps have been around 74 degrees, will cool off next week to mid 60's, and no salt. This is much too warm for the orchards, but nice living weather. We need cold, foggy weather now. 

Edited by pflaming

Well I thought I would post and update to my sub zero drive fiasco. Finally got my shop heater going so I threw in some antifreeze in the old whale to see how bad the radiator leaked. Hmmm, no leaks anywhere. My theory is that the antifreeze was good enough to protect it while sitting in the shop but when I pulled it out in the subzero air with the  fan pulling all that cold air through the rad, it froze it up. Stopped the flow to the engine which caused it to get hot. Glad I wasn't on the road.  Anyway, all is well with protection down to -35. Also, here's a pic of my son and his wife back from Portland Or. for Christmas. He got a real kick out of driving the fluid drive!

SAM_1466.JPG

On January 3, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Worden18 said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat if our roads weren't plastered with salt and sand.  And they just spread a fresh batch this morning after a dusting of snow.:(

Ditto here in Michigan.  We have about 2-3 feet of standing snow and windshields of -15, but the biggest deterrent is that SALT!