51 coronet d42 dash refinishing?

cadillackid1955

I am looking for someone who knows the process or any information on the original pattern on a 51 coronet club coupe dash and the lower half of the side  window frames?

Screenshot_2018-01-03-12-27-55-480x270.png

Edited by cadillackid1955
add pic

Cadillac,

I am in the same boat as you.  The 1950 Plymouths were the last cars with the true wood graining on the dash, and the 1952's were

painted just a solid gray.  But, my 1951 has this, but I don't know what you call it.  I would like to be able just to touch my dash up in a couple

of places, but don't know where to start. 

1951Plymouth-dash-1.jpg

Cadillackid's photo looks like a hammertone finish.  Some of these finishes are available in rattle cans at the local Ace hardware.  But I don't know how you would control the pattern.  Might be worth playing with. 

I refinished my steering wheel years ago with a pearlescent finish from a rattle can.  Beautiful, but when I had to refinish the wheel again, that pearlescent finish was no longer available.  

I'm seriously considering learning a new paint technique that would be able to reproduce any pattern but the investment is high. Any guess on what people might pay to have these patterns done right (no stickers)?

Were they doing water transfer printing in 1951? That's what I am considering investing in now..  Being the only way I can see to get an accurate finish. I have already found reference marks in the 51 Dodge design

Based on cars I've seen through the years, I believe the process was used way before the 1950's for dashboards and interior trim.   I find it hard to imagine that they slowly dunked every part on the assembly line.  That's much too slow for the factory.   Maybe they put the decal on the part and then hit it with steam to dissolve the gelatin?

I was looking in my P15 maintenance book and found a section on trim codes. If you still have the original tags under the seat like I did and look at the build sheet, the book tells you the color of the trim package.

One thing I noticed about the photo of your door trim, is that the color is distorted because of spider cracks in the finish.

Actually there is no cracks, but the clear coat that was sprayed on 20 or so years ago has darkened the color a bit. Today I am pulling the dash and will get better sample from under the speaker grill. And sorry to say the tag was lost in a fire 10 years ago

20170606_201448_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 1

If this car had my visor it would look like mine did new. Wish I could afford it, still has the original plastic seat covers, beautiful car. If anyone knows the color I'm going to the paint shop soon...

Screenshot_2018-01-09-05-45-31.png

On 1/3/2018 at 8:58 PM, wldavis3 said:

Cadillac,

I am in the same boat as you.  The 1950 Plymouths were the last cars with the true wood graining on the dash, and the 1952's were

painted just a solid gray.  But, my 1951 has this, but I don't know what you call it.  I would like to be able just to touch my dash up in a couple

of places, but don't know where to start. 

1951Plymouth-dash-1.jpg

If the majority of your dash looks as good as this, I wouldn't change it.  Consider getting some fine tipped brushes and some matching paint and gently blend in the areas needing attention.

cadillackid1955 that looks to be a leather grain and wldavis3 looks to be sepele woodgrain in a vertical pattern. As stated above go to this website http://www.woodgraining .com it wiil show you examples of the techniques used plus you can purchase supplies to recreate the patterns yourself.

google search   Grain it    this will provide answers to all your questions and more.    The 50 Plymouth technique and colours is called Sapela.

• 4 years later...