oil pan gasket wrong size??

bluefoxamazone

Franky, I am just guessing but the extra length would seem to suit or fit the longer DeSoto/Chrysler engines...what brand of gasket is it? .............andyd    

• Like 1

Hey Andy, it's a gasket from Mahle...

I think what I need is mahle OS30893 or fell pro OS4250c

I have been looking in Europe for 2 hrs, nothing..... The only hope I have is that the Dodge WC engine gasket is the same. This I can find in Holland. (fast and no customs taxes...)

grtz,

image.png.b08cdcbc3f1a50c64235ead9cee05621.png

Franky, I'm unaware of the Mahle part numbers but it looks like there are 2 different numbers that you have quoted...........what I would try and keep in mind when chasing parts for the Mopar side valve sixes is that as there are 2 different size engines, the Dodge/Plymouth "short/small or 23 inch engine" and the DeSoto/Chrysler "long/big or 25 inch" engine................ I would always quote the AMERICAN sizing, ie 201/217 or 230............in your original post you mention that the gasket was for the 3.6L or 218.............that would have raised alarm bells for me as the 218 is the shortest version of the DeSoto/Chrysler engine family that goes 218/228/250/265.................the problem is the fact that there is a 217.8 and a 218.06 capacity yet they are two different engine FAMILIES.........the 217 is what you wanted.....the 218 is what you ordered/got.............if it makes you feel any better most of us outside of the USA have had this issue and problem ourselves and have been caught by Mother Mopars weird choice of engine sizing..............if I'm right then you should be able to sell the gasket set to someone with any US sourced DeSoto/Chrysler or any Canadian sourced Plymouth or Dodge as well..........btw ask them in Holland exactly WHAT engine 23" or 25" does the Dodge WC actually have, by measuring NOT what they think it has...........hope this helps.............lol.....regards, Andy Douglas   

Edited by Andydodge
extra info
  • Like 1

Franky........the Canadian assembled Plymouth & Dodge used the 25" DeSoto/Chrysler engine which may have led to the incorrect listing and as I mentioned in my previous post the 23" engine is 217.8, whereas the 25" engine is 218.06 so its conceivable that a less than accurate typist may have just thought that "218" is close enough..............the metric measurement from my perspective is absolutely USELESS and should NOT be listed, quoted nor used at any time..........that listing states "Vehicles Built for US Market"............which answers the question..........thats the one you should have ordered............both engines I suppose could be called 3.6L in capacity but in doing so YOU have been the one that has paid a penalty.......forget METRICS with these cars.....you have two feet at the end of your legs and therefore use IMPERIAL measurement when dealing in cars that use Imperial measurement...................lol..........its good to learn something every day ...........lol..........you'll be o/k, lol..........andyd     

Edited by Andydodge
more info

Based on that listing, I believe the "Vehicles Built for US Market" would be the indication that it is for the 23" engine. Without that reference they leave you to assume that it was probably built in Canada and would have the 25" engine. That is a bit cryptic for someone that doesn't know that subtle difference.

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1