Just a quickie: Transmission gasket set?

Thomba48

Where to best find a complete transmission gasket set for the standard 1949 transmission in a hurry :-). Part No 1063 655 (do not need the grommet and washers though). Need to get it over to Germany also.

thanks

P.S. Car is finally going to arrive tomorrow and I do have a garage to work in for the next three weeks :-))

P.S. Need to make some adjustments in my future transmission and I believe that gaskets are not reuseable.

Edited by Thomba48

Nope. Don't have. But could be an interesting idea, although not sure about the accuracy in the end :-)

My hope is to get the purchase done this week which should allow the delivery to arrive by mid/ end of next week.

So stupid of me - I organised everything, honestly everything. And time I certainly have. But this bit I completely forgot about -))))

13 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

Where to best find a complete transmission gasket set for the standard 1949 transmission in a hurry :-). Part No 1063 655 (do not need the grommet and washers though). Need to get it over to Germany also.

thanks

P.S. Car is finally going to arrive tomorrow and I do have a garage to work in for the next three weeks :-))

P.S. Need to make some adjustments in my future transmission and I believe that gaskets are not reuseable.

Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com/ 

is always reliable,but nobody ever accused them of being quick. Go to the top of the page and click on the Links Directory for dedicated Mopar sources. That would probably get the quickest results.

• Haha 1

Rovon Auto Parts in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada. Talk to Ron Whiting as he has just about everything. 604-936-9312. Very reasonable on shipping and quick. I have used him for years for parts for my various Mopar projects. Give him the part number and he can usually tell you right away if he has it. He probably has a lot of transmission gasket sets.

Edited by RobertKB
  • Thanks 1

Thomba, Marks suggestion regarding cutting the gaskets yourself might be the quickest, the gasket material should be available at any well stocked parts shop, its usually available in various thicknesses and in rolled up sheets, usually about 30cm by 60cm which should give enough to do the gearbox gaskets...........at a pinch you could even use the side of a cornflake cereal box, cut the cardboard and install using a thin wipe of gasket goo or silicon on either side........if you haven't a hole punch set now is when you really appreciate them..........hope this helps, regards, andyd 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Thomba, Marks suggestion regarding cutting the gaskets yourself might be the quickest, the gasket material should be available at any well stocked parts shop, its usually available in various thicknesses and in rolled up sheets, usually about 30cm by 60cm which should give enough to do the gearbox gaskets...........at a pinch you could even use the side of a cornflake cereal box, cut the cardboard and install using a thin wipe of gasket goo or silicon on either side........if you haven't a hole punch set now is when you really appreciate them..........hope this helps, regards, andyd 

If you have a small ball peen hammer you don't need a punch set. Just lay the gasket on the mounting surface and use tape or something to hold it in place,and then gently tap around where the bolt hole is with the round end of the hammer and it will cut a perfectly matching hole for you.  Trim it to size the same way by gently tapping the flat end of the hammer on the inside and outside edges.

I've been doing this my whole life,mostly using cardboard from cereal boxes and something like "Indian Head Gasket Sealer" on both sides of the cardboard.

BTW,actual gasket material is MUCH easier to "cut to fit" than cardboard is.

• Like 2

Hey, Knuckle, I've also used the ball peen hammer trick myself and you're right in that it does work well...........mopar minds think alike...lol...........andyd

Thanks again - coincidentally bumped into a local company that you supply me with the required gasket set. It is certainly not a cheap offering, but they happened to be very fast. And that counts in this particular case.

thom