Hubcap Red Lettering Touchup Paint

FlashBuddy

In the process of refreshing a collection of 1950 Dodge dog dish hubcaps. Does anybody know what color of red was originally used? I used a color meter and came up with hex code #A83928 and or RGB 168 57 40. A quick trip to the hobby shop netted me a close equivalent - Model Master 2732 Chrysler Engine Red. I've been unable to find it in a spray can. Perhaps if I had a color code of some kind I could get a spray can mixed up?

products_9638_49dodge1_crop_366x358.JPG

I bought a can of the Dupli-Color Chrysler red motor paint at my local Napa store about 3 years ago.

DJ

Who knew? 

Amazon.com: Dupli-Color DE1632 Ceramic Chrysler Industrial Red Engine is the same paint?! That makes it easy peasy. What, after painting the engine they used the extra to throw a splash of color onto the hupcaps? Cheap genius.

Where did I find them @pflaming? You sent them to me!

I'm curious, are the chrome lines showing through from polishing wear or was that originally intenional?

b-260-dodge-9-hub-cap.jpg

57 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

The ribs should be solid red as far as I know. The tops are worn off and showing the stainless. 

good call out Merle, I knew the sister caps that were similar for the 52 Plymouth with the ribbed center dot and the ship emblem embossed were solid painted dot with the ship unpainted stainless.   

The caps I have seen have been more of a maroon color. I had some paint matched to paint my old hubcaps. It is DuPont Centari. These are the amounts for 1 pint. 

758S   Driers       22.5

700A   White       64.8

763A   Orange   159.1

746A   Red         299.1

705A   Black      430.0

Here is a picture of one of my reproduction hubcaps. They also have the same maroon color although the color doesn't show up all that well in the picture. IMG_4124.JPG.aa4c9c2cb8b540573f3dbf13e234abfd.JPG

• Like 1

Took the model paint, Chrysler Engine Red for a test drive on a couple of spare hubcaps laying about. They look perfect if you stand five feet away.

Ordered a can if Dupli-color and will give that a go soon. I've go one real funky hubcap I am planning on using bondo, chrome spray paint,  Dupli-Color DE1632 Ceramic Chrysler Industrial Red Engine and clear coat. Should be an interesting experiment. Waiting for warmer weather first!

20180101_074811-1024x576.jpg

I got a pint of one-shot red for this purpose. it's more orange than the original paint, but works for me. It flows really well and lays out really niiiiice.

First time using One-Shot, already a huge fan.

IMG_2401.JPG

18 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

How in the heck do you hold the camera and paint at the same time? Color me "impressed".

Yea.....I wanna know too.

The brush placement doesn't seem to match the paint location....

And, HEY!!!...is that a Chevy in the background????? hmmmm

48Detective

5 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Yea.....I wanna know too.

The brush placement doesn't seem to match the paint location....

And, HEY!!!...is that a Chevy in the background????? hmmmm

48Detective

but very photogenic with the can opener right there!    Actually, that would be a cool wall picture...

18 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

I thought I "hid" the Chevy from view on this one....dang I've been outed once again!

17 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I did not see any shiverlay in the photo. Tim is spoofin ya but he likes to do that.

lol....having spent time in John T's garage....I know what he keeps under the car cover! Just have to keep the crew honest is all...:D

48D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1