Wiring Harness

Dennis46PU

I completely rewired my 46 WC in the past year with cloth covered wire trying to closely follow the factory specifications.  When I added turn signals and some other accessories that all went out the window as far as color correct, but I stayed with cloth covered wire on everything and it's totally done from connector to connector.  Have anybody considered using a reproduction harness from any source?  Knowing how much I spent on wiring, terminals, shrink tubing, etc., and how much got wasted I'm not so sure I wouldn't have been better off with a harness already built and complete.  I've been told this company is about the only one that makes point quality harness yet.

http://www.riwire.com/

I did all the wiring in my B4B using cloth covered wires from Rhode Island Wires, including the cost of adding directional signals, for roughly $270.  Took me two weekends and several hours a day after work.  You won't find a "drop in" set of wiring harnesses, specially with cloth covered wires anywhere near that price.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bobacuda,

Was the $270.00 you spent for a complete kit, wires only, wires and connectors, or what? It sounds too good to be true as everything I see with cloth wiring comes in around the $800.00 mark. Thanks in advance for a reply.

John

Really depends on what your plans are, if you plan to shift away from complete stock, then a reproduction harness will end up not being really all that helpful.  I re-wired my truck twice, first time a basic 12 volt conversion and the second time to accommodate the many many additions to the electrical system, and it was just easier to start from scratch again, then to use what I had already done.  You may consider ditching the cloth wire and going to cloth tape for a roughly "vintage" look, with a huge savings in wiring costs.  I got my last cloth tape from Johnny Laws...very happy with it

• 6 months later...

John H -

Sorry I did not see this earlier.  The $270 was for wires, connectors and the directional signal.  I copied my old harnesses to make the new one.  I had a wiring schematic provided on this site that gave me the correct wire sizes and colors.  I was also able to peel back old electrical tape and confirm the wire colors.  Do a search on my name, I have posted photos and descriptions of this several times.  If that fails, PM me and I will see what else I can add.

Bob

Bobacuda,

Thanks for the info you gave, and for the follow up from JBNeal. It will prove useful as I have not started wiring yet.

John

• 5 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, NiftyFifty said:

Really depends on what your plans are, if you plan to shift away from complete stock, then a reproduction harness will end up not being really all that helpful.  I re-wired my truck twice, first time a basic 12 volt conversion and the second time to accommodate the many many additions to the electrical system, and it was just easier to start from scratch again, then to use what I had already done.  You may consider ditching the cloth wire and going to cloth tape for a roughly "vintage" look, with a huge savings in wiring costs.  I got my last cloth tape from Johnny Laws...very happy with it

Where did you get your basic 12 volt kit and which kit did use use the second time?

I prefer RI Wire and have installed several of their harnesses. All were spot on.

I buy all my cloth wiring and terminals from them as I make up factory correct harnesses too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I drive my truck nearly every day therefore not everything is period correct. I bought the basic wiring kit from Kwik wire. Very pleased with it plug in circuit breakers, shut off switch, every wire labeled as to where it goes ie right rear brake etc. I believe it was under $300.

• Like 1