New Year Resolutions

Plymouthy Adams

Not for your own self edification but what have you got planned for the coming year on the car or in the shop?

Long ago I resolved not to make resolutions but I do try to list a few tasks for accomplishment.  Right now the house is still eating my time, cooler temps not making for quick advancements.

I’d like to finish the trunk somehow.  It is going to be a big job, because I have a business coupe.  When I go to cruise nights people always ask to see the big trunk, but now I have it full of junk; 6 folding chairs, a pop up canopy, a folding hammock and I’m not sure what is under all that.  I’d like to something like Bob Toft did with the trunk of his vert.

Want to get the '51 Dodge D39 business coupe finished and on the road. Just now finishing wiring. Mechanically done except for final brake work. Needs interior done. Hopefully rolling by late spring. Balmy days of summer at the latest. That is the plan but they can go oft awry. 

Edited by RobertKB

I think Awry is my middle name....seems every time I get halfway into doing something in the garage, another thing abut the house causes me to stop, put down my tools and yet grab other tools for a house repair.  It is the house that continues to eat my shop time at the moment but my remodel is slowly finishing up.  While I would love to set a deadline for something to be done, I am realistic enough to know it cannot always be...start pushing for drop dead dates can cause you to drop dead or turn the project into a job...I've had jobs, they take the fun out of things.

17 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Install seat covers on my 52. Get door and trunk locks operational. Drive car more!!!!

kinda of talking about the new year...not just new year's day         :lol:       just making humor...we all know how tough it is at times to put our hand to what we really want to do and not what we HAVE to do... I need to drive mine more often, I drove it last in October I think....break over for me, back to my drywall project....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone has their own pace they work at. Some enjoy the build more than driving the finished project. Other things and other projects happen that can take over. Sometimes I can go weeks without accomplishing much on car projects and I wonder why I am not spending more time in the garage. Other times I ignore other things I should be doing and work on the car. To each their own and we burn gas at our own rate and time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vent glass rubber for the Plymouth,  a lot of home projects must get done first though. I have a Jeep on the operating table at the moment when I have a bit of spare time.

2018 is the completion year for my 53 Dodge coupe truck. The old "Pop truck" will get final paint soon. and full assembly will be completed before our Chrysler Expo car show later this year!

It's been a long and expensive project... but well worth doing it right!

53 Dodge coupe truck.JPG

• Like 2

I believe I will install a moisture barrier to the ceiling of the shop, and build some shelves in it to clear up some floor space.  All to improve working conditions so I can; 1) clean up, paint, rewire the engine compartment of the ol' D24 (been 25 years since the initial restoration, showing quite a bit of age), as well as replace the windshields (one was cracked by record heat in El Paso in 1994); 2) get the Terraplane running (no reason it wouldn't, just haven't messed with it since moving up here); and refresh the interior of the '70 Beetle while it's put up for the winter.

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I believe I will install a moisture barrier to the ceiling of the shop, and build some shelves in it to clear up some floor space.  All to improve working conditions so I can; 1) clean up, paint, rewire the engine compartment of the ol' D24 (been 25 years since the initial restoration, showing quite a bit of age), as well as replace the windshields (one was cracked by record heat in El Paso in 1994); 2) get the Terraplane running (no reason it wouldn't, just haven't messed with it since moving up here); and refresh the interior of the '70 Beetle while it's put up for the winter.

You might want to check with your local insulating companies. Around here we do not put vapor barrier is in garage ceiling’s.

Continue to run the B/PP class at Bonneville and hit 175mph in 2018*.....but really, the kids are out of college now, so just getting back to Bonneville will be good enough. lol

48D

*the record is 195.146 mph....yikes 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, Todd B said:

You might want to check with your local insulating companies. Around here we do not put vapor barrier is in garage ceiling’s.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll do so.  Right now, the ceiling insulation is exposed (just the ceiling joists and insulation, no panels or anything), and it gets wet every spring when I open the shop up and the "warm" air hits the still cold cement floor.  Of course, if I install a sheet of plastic or something, it'll probably rain in there with all my luck.  Thanks for the tip!

Even with a vapor barrier and rigid (i.e. 2 " Styrofoam) insulation placed under a concrete slab on grade (good practice, and required by energy codes for some building occupancies), in a garage you could still end up with condensation on the slab under certain weather conditions (a period of warm, humid weather following a cold spell).  I recommend a vapor barrier over the insulation.  A vapor barrier (foil faced insulation at least, a sheet of poly stapled over unfaced insulation is better) will stop water vapor from hitting it's dew point somewhere in the insulation, saturating it and holding wet fiberglass against your wood framing.  Granted,  a garage is different from a house, but it's cheap insurance. 

My New Year's resolution is to do just this to the underside of my loft floor (I've already done the walls, covering it with plywood as a finish) so the garage can be toastier - just gone thru a period of record cold here in eastern Mass, and I'm home today 'cuz of a blizzard watch.  

On 12/31/2017 at 10:37 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

kinda of talking about the new year...not just new year's day         :lol:       just making humor...we all know how tough it is at times to put our hand to what we really want to do and not what we HAVE to do... I need to drive mine more often, I drove it last in October I think....break over for me, back to my drywall project....

It took me three years to fix my heater and and two to finish the brakes. So i don't think my resolutions are unrealistic

• Like 1

My first goal is to get my legs back, the knee replacement has healed yet muscles are weak. My second is to get the Suburban legal and usable, details will be as time and suddenly aging torso allow. In September I'm 80! Yikes!  My third goal is make it to September.