Traction on ice and snow

JPP

Add, secure weight over the rear axle. In Omaha I used 50#  bags of sand, try 50, then 100, until it holds the road and has decent traction. An old sheet of plywood and a bolted down 4x4 cross piece will hold that sand where you want it. If ice stops you, you have sand to get going again. Thats what I did .

2 hours ago, JPP said:

So my B2B is a all year round driver. Have tough time on traction with ice and snow. Do you guys add weight?  How much?  Thanks. 

are you running true snow tires?

if so, and you are still slipping, then do as paul suggests and add weight over the rear axle.  if not (running snow tires), buy some and get them installed on all four wheels.

• Like 1

May not be legal where you are, but in the early '70s in Omaha steel studded  snow tires were legal. I had my spare as a studded tire and an extra for winter snow, I ran standard tread tires all winter and could switch those back tires on in ten minutes when required. In the worst winter months, it's amazing how seldom  snow tires are needed. 

10 hours ago, pflaming said:

May not be legal where you are, but in the early '70s in Omaha steel studded  snow tires were legal. I had my spare as a studded tire and an extra for winter snow, I ran standard tread tires all winter and could switch those back tires on in ten minutes when required. In the worst winter months, it's amazing how seldom  snow tires are needed. 

Maybe where you live Paul, and depending on the temps.

Regular "summer rated tires", get rigid at temps below 45f, "Winter tires" or all weather rated tires stay pliable in temps well below 45f.

Some states and Canadian provinces allow studded snow tires, we are 1 place that allow them. On icy snow packed roadways studs really can help.

Sand bags are a very good weight source, and heck some can be opened if you got stuck and needed something for traction.

On my daily driver a 2015 Hemi Ram 4X4 I have Kumho all weather tires, not quite as good as Good YearDuratracs but  darn good so far.

I would put 300 to 500 lbs in the box of an old truck with decent tires, should be all good.

I would put the weight ahead of the rear axle centerline to prevent the backside 'coming around' and if you can keep the sand dry, you will be able to use it for traction. In these here parts it tends to get wet and freezes, then you have a block of frozen sand. Great for weight but you ain't spreading it anywhere.

From MassDOT website;

Are studded snow tires allowed in Massachusetts?

Studded snow tires are legal from the First of November to the End of April.

Edited by BigDaddyO
Clarification

Our local county garage has a pile of sand that is mixed with salt so it doesn’t freeze up as Big Daddy said. It’s free to county residents. Lot of guys fill little feed sacks with the sand/ salt mix for weight and have it for sprinkling under the tires if needed.