My original CARTER fuel pump.

Now on december,20th I tried to start my 251 engine and it won't start.The fuel pump was pouring enough gasoline in the floor.After 7 months running all ok with my PU,fuel pump all ok,since march when I disassembled it,did new FIVE paper gaskets for it.March to May assembling and road testing.After tests I did,it was now ok(may to December,20th).Today December,27th it started very ok,not leaking more at the fuel pump.What could it happens?Only suggestions.Regards.

5 hours ago, mechresto said:

Fernando....when you rebuilt your pump, did you use a newly manufactured diaphragm? Or was it new old stock?

the older diaphragms cannot handle the increa sing amounts of alcohol present in modern fuels.

It is NOS.After the new year I will disassemble it to check if was the NOS diaphragm torn.Thanks.

DSCN3948.JPG

22.Mai.17 015.jpg

DSCN4049.JPG

mechresto good morning.I think my diaphragm is ok,because today I noticed the garage floor where it slept all the night was clear.I functioned the engine and noticed during and after there is no leak on the floor.I will continue observing.Thanks.

9 hours ago, mechresto said:

Also make sure that the external leak hasn't turned into an internal one....filling your crankcase with fuel....

Ok, I will observe watching the color of the oil or its level in the dipstick.Thanks for your input.

32 minutes ago, Fernando Mendes said:

Ok, I will observe watching the color of the oil or its level in the dipstick.Thanks for your input.

You are right.The dipstick is with its level increased and the color of the oil is grey.The smell is different too.Thanks.

11 hours ago, Fernando Mendes said:

Hi mechresto.I have another NOS diaphragm,but if I put will happen the same.What is the solution to my situation? If I buy a new fuel pump it will solve the problem?Thanks.Regards.

Maybe you need to get the proper parts for your pump from Then and Now Automotive. http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

They can even help you identify the pump to be sure you get the right parts. 

I suspect that the NOS diaphragms that you have aren’t correct if you need to stack 5 gaskets to get it to work. 

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Maybe you need to get the proper parts for your pump from Then and Now Automotive. http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

They can even help you identify the pump to be sure you get the right parts. 

I suspect that the NOS diaphragms that you have aren’t correct if you need to stack 5 gaskets to get it to work. 

Thanks Merle.I already sent a message to THEN & NOW.

DSCN3956.JPG

DSCN3891.JPG

DSCN3901.JPG

DSCN3947.JPG

DSCN3958.JPG

DSCN4066.JPG

DSCN4057.JPG

Hi Merle.The last compatible with my fuel pump(diaphragm 6 holes) and block gasket(with disaligned holes) is that CK-102 that I saw in Then & Now.Its diaphragm is the same as mine(NOS).

CK-102-510x383.jpg

On 27/12/2017 at 12:21 PM, mechresto said:

Fernando....when you rebuilt your pump, did you use a newly manufactured diaphragm? Or was it new old stock?

the older diaphragms cannot handle the increa sing amounts of alcohol present in modern fuels.

On 29/12/2017 at 2:57 PM, Fernando Mendes said:

Hi Merle.The last compatible with my fuel pump(diaphragm 6 holes) and block gasket(with disaligned holes) is that CK-102 that I saw in Then & Now.Its diaphragm is the same as mine(NOS).

CK-102-510x383.jpg

Where can I buy a newly manufactured diaphragm?

9 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/  as stated earlier. Assuming, of course, that they can ship to Brazil

Yes,I already contact them but no response yet.

13 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/  as stated earlier. Assuming, of course, that they can ship to Brazil

Hi Merle.Now I disassembled the fuel pump,because I noticed the oil level is increased and its color is different(grey).I had a surprise because there is not torn diaphragm nor torn five paper gaskets.Now I will see why it is spilling gasoline inside the crankcase. 

2 minutes ago, Fernando Mendes said:

Hi Merle.Now I disassembled the fuel pump,because I noticed the oil level is increased and its color is different(grey).I had a surprise because there is not torn diaphragm nor torn five paper gaskets.Now I will see why it is spilling gasoline inside the crankcase. 

DSCN4440.JPG

DSCN4438.JPG

DSCN4439.JPG

I had a diaphragm tear, yet I never did actually SEE the tear.  It was there because it was dumping fuel on the ground and into my oil.  I'd agree that you should not need so many gaskets to make your pump work.

12 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

I had a diaphragm tear, yet I never did actually SEE the tear.  It was there because it was dumping fuel on the ground and into my oil.  I'd agree that you should not need so many gaskets to make your pump work.

Ok,Thanks to your input.When my fuel pump did not have these 5 paper gaskets,before may 2017, it did not work well,specially when my engine was climbing the road.I did many tests. 

2 hours ago, Fernando Mendes said:

Ok,Thanks to your input.When my fuel pump did not have these 5 paper gaskets,before may 2017, it did not work well,specially when my engine was climbing the road.I did many tests. 

I changed the diaphragm.It can be porous.It has two faces of rubber.I think this other I changed is very strong.It has an another material between the two faces of rubber,like a tire.

DSCN4443.JPG

DSCN4444.JPG

DSCN4445.JPG