49-52 Plymouth door to fender weatherstrip

Hawkhero

One of the more frustrating things with the P-18 through P-23 crowd is that the weatherstrip at the front of the doors is not available. Steele didn't think there was a market, so guys have come up with their own solutions over the years.

While searching for it today, I found that Steele makes the weatherstrip for 49-50 Chrysler and DeSoto convertibles and 2 door hard tops. 

https://www.steelerubber.com/door-weatherstrip-40-0340-73

Given that most auto makers tired to use as much of the same tooling as possible when stamping parts, wouldn't this also fit the Plymouth cars? Or were the coupes and convertibles that different?

Usually I would try it out but with Steele, this stuff is $176 so it's an expensive experiment. Has anyone tried this? I imagine it lacks the metal core but it may be worth the try.

--Brian

Several years ago I tried a set that was supposed to fit the 50 Plymouth.  I do not know which company made it but the holes for the sheet metal mounting screws did not line up and after redrilling the body and getting the gasket in place, I found the first opening and closing of the door wiped the gasket right off.   

Later, on my own car,  I used a relatively flat but ribbed piece of rubber which is intended for use on the bottom edge of a garage door. I made  tabs which mounted on the body's holes and help to hold the gasket in place. It is also glued to the A pillar and extends behind the fender almost to the mounting bolts.  So far on my convertible and  a customer's sedan I have had good results.  Since the piece I got was enough for at least two cars I have not gone looking for more.  

I finally dug up my original steel cores and it looks like the difference is in the location of the tabs. On my P20 sedan, the top tab is about 2" from the end of the strip, which with the steel core isn't an issue since it supports the rubber. I'm thinking that these will fit but that tab will either need to be cut off or a new hole drilled. The other tabs likely will not line up, either. 

--Brian