Gyromatic to BW T-85 3 speed

MIHooper

Picked up a really nice 51 Coronet Gyromatic w/ 230 Flathead.  I’m 3rd owner, 10K original miles. Looking to put in a Gen 1 hemi and a vintage BW T-85 3 speed column shift.... more or less trying to make it a 50s correct Hot Rod.  (Yes... doing up the Flathead is still in consideration ).  Question is, will I have to replace the whole column or will the column for the Gyromatic be able to link right up? I’m thinking no as the column for the Gyromatic has R, 1(H&L) & 2(H&L)... and nothing for a 3rd gear.  Yup... I’m THAT guy... so my apologies if someone has to explain or revisit AGAIN.  Thanks for any help!!!  Tips on 50s correctness are welcomed too!  Again, thanks & happy upcoming New Year!

hoop

1 hour ago, MIHooper said:

Picked up a really nice 51 Coronet Gyromatic w/ 230 Flathead.  I’m 3rd owner, 10K original miles. Looking to put in a Gen 1 hemi and a vintage BW T-85 3 speed column shift.... more or less trying to make it a 50s correct Hot Rod.  (Yes... doing up the Flathead is still in consideration ).  Question is, will I have to replace the whole column or will the column for the Gyromatic be able to link right up? I’m thinking no as the column for the Gyromatic has R, 1(H&L) & 2(H&L)... and nothing for a 3rd gear.  Yup... I’m THAT guy... so my apologies if someone has to explain or revisit AGAIN.  Thanks for any help!!!  Tips on 50s correctness are welcomed too!  Again, thanks & happy upcoming New Year!

hoop

Your car,do what you want,but why in the world would you want to modify a 10k mile original car when you could sell it to a collector or restorer for big bucks,and there are cheap 51 Coronet's all over the country that have no drive trains or bad drive trains that you could buy for a percentage of what you can sell your car for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Your car,do what you want,but why in the world would you want to modify a 10k mile original car when you could sell it to a collector or restorer for big bucks,and there are cheap 51 Coronet's all over the country that have no drive trains or bad drive trains that you could buy for a percentage of what you can sell your car for?

I hear ya... and you’re for the most part, correct... and will keep everything for that very reason.  However... big bucks and market for these aren’t “there” (yet) ; hell, concourse grade are only listed at $18k... and for me to have a chance to have a car of that year and not have to dump any money into body, chrome, glass, or the pristine interior and still get to hot rod it a bit... is just the opportunity I’ve been hunting.  Now... don’t forget... and this takes your notes into account too... I’m all ears for community suggestions/ideas/recommendations.  Thanks for taking the time to write, knuckle... I appreciate it!

Have you looked at some of the somewhat period correct hopped up flat 6's?  There's a few on this site that are pretty darn cool.  Lopey cams, spilt exhaust. Some sound a bit like a V8.

Just a thought, prob be the only one on your block.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

Have you looked at some of the somewhat period correct hopped up flat 6's?  There's a few on this site that are pretty darn cool.  Lopey cams, spilt exhaust. Some sound a bit like a V8.

Just a thought, prob be the only one on your block.

I beg to differ. V-8's only sound as good as a inline with split exhaust and glass packs in their dreams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

surprised no pictures. must be pretty.personally i have always liked cars that are modernized with drivetrain and tranny, but mostly looking original. always up to the owner what to do. i do not have the money or physical ability to do my car, but a newer 8 cll and torquflite would be great. 10k original does seem like a nice car, and maybe a second car to modify would be better.   capt den

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a 'sleeper', had plenty of them in the old days....lots-o-fun.

If you are not stuck on the T85 then remember that a Mopar trans will bolt to a Mopar bell and only require a 'normal' adapter at the block.

• 1961–1971 Chrysler A745 — 3-speed manual for V8
  • 1970–1981 Chrysler A230 — 3-speed manual, all-synchromesh
  • 1973–1974 Chrysler A250 — 3-speed manual, 1st gear no synchromesh
  • 1975–1978 Chrysler A390 — 3-speed manual, all-synchromesh
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, captden29 said:

surprised no pictures. must be pretty.personally i have always liked cars that are modernized with drivetrain and tranny, but mostly looking original. always up to the owner what to do. i do not have the money or physical ability to do my car, but a newer 8 cll and torquflite would be great. 10k original does seem like a nice car, and maybe a second car to modify would be better.   capt den

Sorry no pics... 3MB size limit won’t let my iPhone pics upload .  Once I can get that figured out... I’ll post for sure.

35 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Nothing wrong with a 'sleeper', had plenty of them in the old days....lots-o-fun.

If you are not stuck on the T85 then remember that a Mopar trans will bolt to a Mopar bell and only require a 'normal' adapter at the block.

• 1961–1971 Chrysler A745 — 3-speed manual for V8
  • 1970–1981 Chrysler A230 — 3-speed manual, all-synchromesh
  • 1973–1974 Chrysler A250 — 3-speed manual, 1st gear no synchromesh
  • 1975–1978 Chrysler A390 — 3-speed manual, all-synchromesh

Thanks for those suggestions!!!  Def will look into them.