locking the hood on a b3b

gramps1951

The time honored way is to blue ax some holes in the hood and fenders and use a chain.  To improve the look you could always get the chain chromed.

I have seen a couple of trucks that had the hood handles removed and a Torx headed fastener installed in its place.  The theory holds that most thieves have two hands but do not happen to have a correctly sized Torx bit on their person.  I use this system on my '37 Chevy coupe which has a similar locking system.

Edited by lonejacklarry

1 hour ago, Todd B said:

Move to a safer community would work. 

LOL....that would show an incredible amount of dedication to a truck!

I'm curious of the motivation, as I would want to lock the whole truck up at night. I imagine yours is outside?

Or are you concerned about the hood wings opening up during driving.....

I have said that if you drill a hole at the rear of the lids, you could put a cylinder type lock  based to the firewall.

48D 

• Thanks 1

This will entail a hole here or there but for me I would investigate the use of vending  machine and display case locks and adapt these...a few of the vending locks are very nicely made and fit flush, heavily chromed for the elements...these would be my first choice to investigate closely

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

This will entail a hole here or there but for me I would investigate the use of vending  machine and display case locks and adapt these...a few of the vending locks are very nicely made and fit flush, heavily chromed for the elements...these would be my first choice to investigate closely

Insert 6 quarters and you could have a look at the engine.

• Haha 1

Just now, Don Coatney said:

Insert 6 quarters and you could have a look at the engine.

nice comeback Don....lol     but no, not that type of lock,  actually the very bubble gum machine lock comes to mind as I have bought these in the past and they are very inexpensive, well made and to me I think they could easily be adapted...but then all depends on what tools and such you have on had to do the job..again. would be the first one I would go for given the simplicity of the design and ease of mounting...

door popper of traditional make is a bear claw latch, a stationary post, solenoid and wire rope and hopefully think ahead enough to spring buffer these plus interconnecting wiring and a hidden switch or remote controller board and keypad... cost and time just went through the roof but we don't price our labor of love...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Maybe even something as simple as a choke cable connected to the hood latch mechanism, to interfere with turning it to open. 

Simply pull out the cable mounted to the dash to operate hood latch normally.

Can think of several ways of proper interference, just look at it and see what works for you?

Secure? not really, will keep a honest man honest is all.

• Like 1

Gramps, have you had a lot of theft or vandalism? I am with 48dodger, "what's the motivation?"

you could also bend or adjust the fender hooks.....I darn near locked myself out recently  :D

I throw my canoe on the back of the truck so it's left by it's self some times down dirt roads where  it could be messed with.   I brought my truck to a car show this past summer  when I got back to my truck I found a women in my truck takeing pictures and did't want to get out finnally I got her out. the truck was not locked  because the lock cylinder was broken it has since been replaced. More than anything it would give me some peace of mind I know what ever I do if someone  wants to bad enough they can get past any lock. I have even been thinking of having some kind of tracking device installed has anyone gone that far?  I have had my truck since 1992 and it means more to me  than it's cash value.  Neil

If you want tracking devices installed those could be easy. There is a product out there called tile, not sure exactly what it interfaces with, maybe an app on your smartphone (if you have one) or maybe an account linked to your email that you can access on your computer, and I believe they are relatively inexpensive. Also Milwaukee tool has a product called a tick that you can fasten to your truck somewhere that also tracks its location via app or computer account. Also not a very expensive product. Designed for keeping track of your tools at multiple job sites, but could also very easily keep track of you truck:)

I gave this topic a fair amount of thought a while back when I was building my truck. All you really need to do is use an old choke or throttle cable and some hardware to interfere with the operation of the hood latch on both sides. Just never got around to it. Maybe a good winter project. My anti-theft system consists now of an un-marked fuel pump switch and a battery selector switch with a removable key.

I totally get where you are at on this. If I were to ever catch someone messing with my truck I would go all Peaky Blinders on them.

Jeff

On 12/28/2017 at 9:23 AM, pflaming said:

"Peaky Blinders"???  Never heard that one before. Sound like a blind date term! LOL

Paul; It ain't nuttin to do with dating.

Peaky Blinders is a Netflix show about a particularly nasty post WW1 mob that runs Birmingham England after the war. They know no limits........ if you catch my drift. :eek: If you have trouble sleeping this is definitely not the show for you.

Jeff

• Thanks 1